A new project from me......

Mings

Hey guys, I have a new concept for you. Architecture, not graphic design.

Anyways some background: It is a renovation/retrofit/demolish/new construction down in New Orleans. A neighborhood association joined up with my professor to get some designs for a new icon building that incorporates an interpretive center/museum. They are taking an old car dealership and converting it to this use.

I will let you guys read the concept statement in the picture and if you have anymore questions let me know. The picture is about 285kB or so, so I am linking it instead of putting it in the thread.

Feel free to ask questions, critique the design of the building, and the design of the board.

Here is the link.

Thanks guys!

Edit: This would probably be better in the General Design forum if someone wants to move it. Thanks!

Thanks Joel. Maybe in a few years you can. My design was voted one of the top 5 in the class (the professor won't tell us who was #1), so I get to present it to the client via video conference in a couple of weeks. Gotta make a Powerpoint for that one, because I am sure the board itself won't cut it depending on the distance from the camera.

Broken Record alert:

Beautiful atrium.

(end)

I don't know how I feel about the exterior, (and I'm being very blunt) it's just kind of boring. You might want to incorporate some of the motifs of these images into the exterior.

Very nice, though.

What was the inspiration for the exterior?

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I actually had not seen that building Chris, but with the brick and the curved curtain wall, there are a couple of similarities there.

Avery, I see what you are saying; but I don't agree with you. The lower part of the building is the non demolished part of the original building. It doesn't have the windows, doors, parapet details that it does have in real life due to my wanting to show my addition off (hence it having all the detail).

I can see where you say it is too plain, but my style has always been "Less is more". The interplay of the glass and brick was something I wanted to play up, which is why there are only a few windows in brick (that and the Atrium would bring in an amazing amount of light as well. Also, the glass won't be mirrored, so you will be able to see in directly to the Atrium giving it more character as well (This was not shown in the 3d model due to lack of time).

The whole premise of the building in general is of a hurricane (the central area) hitting the city (the rectilinear space which is interrupted/hit by the hurricane). I wanted a very modernistic building that hints back to the original building, but also stands out on its own as an icon for the Broadmoor area (that the neighboorhood it is in). The expansive amount of glass allows it to be a beacon of light after sunset, essentially saying "We are back, and better than ever. Come back home and rebuild.".

Some of my inspirations were the following:

Indianapolis Museum of Art

College Conservatory of Music - University of Cincinnati

Columbus Learning Center - Columbus, Indiana

Don't get me wrong Avery, I definitely appreciate the feedback. I just wanted to give you an idea what was going through my head.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I like your thinking there Josh. The one thing I suggest is perhaps adding some simple detail or tecture to the brick work. Nothing major, just something to break up the large amount of brick you have going on. If done right it could add another element to the design by making the brick more dynmatic while still play up the interplay between the brick and glass.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Yeah, I'm starting to think about adding the soldier coursing back. I took it off after playing with the model (since the shadows from the sunshade give it a soldier course look).

In the end it all comes down to what the client wants. I will probably do a different version of the 3d model to show them (wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to add).

Keep the bricks; just experiment with a few different colors here & there. Less may be more, but a few well-placed bricks & tiles representing the museum itself can all add up to something special.

Note- nothing drastic, you understand; stay within the theme, a few different shades here & there. Think "sepia-tone"...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Lammykins. I think I will start working on the 3d model a bit more tomorrow, and I really like your idea. I am also going to add more "context" (trees, landscape and the like) into the model as well.

Yes I know this was kinda a bump, but some more feedback would definitely be helpful.

Thanks guys!

Just saw this, Josh. VERY cool. I'm not an architect, but I know a few people studying it here for what that's worth (which is nothing, lol).

That's just a very nice looking design. I agree that MAYBE something could be done ever so slightly to spruce up the outside, but the inside is definitely gorgeous. Good luck whenever you present that.

Just saw this, Josh. VERY cool. I'm not an architect, but I know a few people studying it here for what that's worth (which is nothing, lol).

That's just a very nice looking design. I agree that MAYBE something could be done ever so slightly to spruce up the outside, but the inside is definitely gorgeous. Good luck whenever you present that.

Nah thats not nothing. You get to see them during hell week (well if you go in the Architecture Building). I actually considered Illinois before deciding on Tulane (my grandfather is an Illinois alum).

I'm supposedly presenting it next week, but I think the client is having problems getting a place for a video conference scheduled. So who knows when.....

Archived