Rambling Wrecked

WJMorris3

ATLANTA - It's a Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech, and it will take a hell of an engineer to get it going again.

The vintage car that has led the football team onto Grant Field before Yellow Jackets games since 1961 was wrecked for real as it was being towed to Savannah to be used in a wedding.

Tech officials said Wednesday that they hope to get repairs done to the 1930 Model A Sports Coupe mascot in time for the home opener against Samford.

"It's gonna lead the team out on the field for that Sept. 8 football game, that's for sure," associate athletic director Wayne Hogan told WAGA-TV.

Tech senior John Bird and his brother, Matt, were hauling the Wreck on a flatbed truck on Friday when there was "a grinding noise" and "we hit the ditch and the Wreck fell on its side," Bird said.

The brothers received minor injuries, but the car was damaged on its roof and side, he said.

WAGA said the Rambling Wreck was at an undisclosed location where Bird and others planned to make repairs. There are two others that could be used in a pinch, the station said.

The four-wheeled mascot fits quite nicely with the school's famous fight song, "Ramblin' Wreck" about a "hell of an engineer" from the school. Although the song It originated in the late 19th century.

The current Rambling Wreck formally joined the mascot corps on Sept. 30, 1961, when it rumbled on the field before the Yellow Jackets defeated Rice 24-0 in Atlanta.

With flags attached to each of the front fenders and "GT" painted on the doors, the gold-and-white car takes the lead for the Yellow Jackets with cheerleaders perched on the running boards and mascot "Buzz" ? a costumed bug ? standing on the rumble seat.

According to the school's media guide, the term "Rambling Wreck" was first attached to a 1914 Ford owned by Floyd Field, the dean of men.

LvZYtbZ.png

According to the school's media guide, the term "Rambling Wreck" was first attached to a 1914 Ford owned by Floyd Field, the dean of men.

That is an awesome title. It's like "The Duke of New York"...

"You are the Dean of Men, you're A-Number One!"

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

"You're the best, around, nothing's gonna ever keep you down..."

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

:lol: Good call, JQK

I wonder if the Dean's 1914 car had teh chandaliers on the fenders too.

5.jpg

Archived