Tank Stumper 7/17/07

NJTank

17 years ago today. Tom Brunansky and Jody Reed. Boston vs. Minnesota. The Twins still managed to lose the game. (yes I looked it up.)

Wow. I read Tank's question and did noth think of this, but seeing this, now I recall (I could not have named the players and one was an ex-Twin).

The thing I remember about this was that people kept on saying "two triple plays and the Twins still lost" (it may even have been the topic of a Letterman Top 10, but perhaps I am just making that up) as if it was a big deal to lose a game with two triple plays--as you say "The Twins still managed to lose the game."

I never understood why pulling off two triple plays should result in a win. That does not account for the other seven innings. All it really says was that the opponent was able to get a couple of guys on in those two innings and that perhaps defense bailed the pitcher out a couple of times. I don't recall the details of the game or the score, but I felt like I was the only person on earth who was not blown away that they lost the game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

17 years ago today. Tom Brunansky and Jody Reed. Boston vs. Minnesota. The Twins still managed to lose the game. (yes I looked it up.)

Wow. I read Tank's question and did noth think of this, but seeing this, now I recall (I could not have named the players and one was an ex-Twin).

The thing I remember about this was that people kept on saying "two triple plays and the Twins still lost" (it may even have been the topic of a Letterman Top 10, but perhaps I am just making that up) as if it was a big deal to lose a game with two triple plays--as you say "The Twins still managed to lose the game."

I never understood why pulling off two triple plays should result in a win. That does not account for the other seven innings. All it really says was that the opponent was able to get a couple of guys on in those two innings and that perhaps defense bailed the pitcher out a couple of times. I don't recall the details of the game or the score, but I felt like I was the only person on earth who was not blown away that they lost the game.

retrosheet.org has it as Boston 1, Minnesota 0

RED SOX 4TH: Boggs walked; Jody Reed doubled to right [boggs to

third]; Quintana walked; Brunansky grounded into a triple play

(third to third to second to first) [Jody Reed out at third,

Quintana out at second]; 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Twins 0, Red Sox

RED SOX 8TH: Naehring doubled to left; Boggs walked; Jody Reed

grounded into a triple play (third to third to second to first)

[Naehring out at third, Boggs out at second]; 0 R, 1 H, 0 E, 0

LOB. Twins 0, Red Sox 1.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived