Traverse City BeachBums concept

Turkleton

I thought I could have some fun with this team and make a fun concept. I was wrong, this has taken months. Its being posted so soon after my Penn State concept because Penn State was a break from this half-finished-at-the-time idea.

The reason it took so long was because I originally tried to change the colours to a sea blue and sand, to tie in with the 'Beach' theme. These colours didnt work on the uniforms in any combo at all. So trying different variants then deciding on the navy was one reason. Also, I spent quite a while on this....

untitled2vd1.png

That was the original secondary logo. However, I noticed after I had done it that he had white hands, yet blue feet, he's surfboard looks more like a skateboard and it was a little too complicated when reduced for a sleeve patch / cap logo. So I ditched it and made it just the baseball with shades. The primary logo is the 'shaka', the hand sign made by surfers and it came to mind as soon as I saw the BeachBums on the logos section.

Finally, the Alt cap....I have a feeling this will generate some comments so I'll address it. Its more of an experiment really, than anything else. I just wanted to see how it would take. And anyway, if they dont like it, they can wear the other one :-)

C&C welcome

beachbumsnq0.png

sigen.jpg

Here, Turk... I'll make you feel better. ^_^

What I like:

-- The concept itself... I like the "fingers" logo, as it's something different (although I had to squint to see what it was).

-- The colors, almost like Georgetown a bit.

What needs to be tweaked:

-- The cap logos should be smaller,

-- The shoulder logo should be a liiiittle bigger,

-- I'm not a fan of the "BB" on the cap, because you've got the name in the wordmark across the chest, and the exact same logo on the front of the Away. Maybe either use the baseball logo and put the finger logo on the sleeve (sans wordmark), or the other way around.

-- Make the logo bigger on the Alt cap, Mr. New Era. :-p

-- The wordmark on the alt is too plain, and it doesn't look good stacked. Maybe use the same font you used for the other wordmarks?

-- See if you can find a template that has a sleeveless look -- I think that's what you were going for in the alt, right?

Overall, it's a pretty solid concept, and I like that you used a random minor league team (I know someone who used to work for them, how awesome).

philly.png

I like--no wait--love the surfing baseball. That is [really big number] times better than the "shaka" logo. Nothing against the primary, I just think the ball is too perfect. If you want to go all out, you could have him riding a big wave with "Traverse City" outlining said wave and "Beach Bums" below it. (Oh, the merchandising possibilities!)

I think the wordmark looks good with the contrasting fonts, but the "square font" doesn't look good on its own. Use the beach font for "Traverse City" ala your home uniform. For the cap, What about a "TC" logo? That would probably be better than the "BB" logo and keeps the ball on the sleeve. (I love that ball.)

Overall this is a fantastic start. The only thing I'm not wild about is the fingers. Play up the ball! More surfing! Make your original secondary the primary. With some additions it would be "hanging 10" with the best of them. (I had to insert some obligatory surfing phrase in somewhere.) I can't wait to see the update!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I like--no wait--love the surfing baseball. That is [really big number] times better than the "shaka" logo. Nothing against the primary, I just think the ball is too perfect. If you want to go all out, you could have him riding a big wave with "Traverse City" outlining said wave and "Beach Bums" below it. (Oh, the merchandising possibilities!)

I think the wordmark looks good with the contrasting fonts, but the "square font" doesn't look good on its own. Use the beach font for "Traverse City" ala your home uniform. For the cap, What about a "TC" logo? That would probably be better than the "BB" logo and keeps the ball on the sleeve. (I love that ball.)

Overall this is a fantastic start. The only thing I'm not wild about is the fingers. Play up the ball! More surfing! Make your original secondary the primary. With some additions it would be "hanging 10" with the best of them. (I had to insert some obligatory surfing phrase in somewhere.) I can't wait to see the update!

Cheers guys, Im actually glad you 2 are the 1st ones to post. No disrespect to anyone else, I love getting feedback from everyone, but BigBrain and Epiphanic always give good feedback and are the most helpful, IMO. Anyway, i've just been sketching out a few rough ideas for my next concept, but i'll put that on hold for now and work on getting this BeachBums concept on the money

Cheers guys, surfs up etc etc :-)

sigen.jpg

I like the surfing baseball alot, but the surfboard should be a little bigger. It looks like he is surfing on one of those little wood things you get in italian ice. The hand logo is awesome and would great on a sweatshirt, but not as a baseball logo. I love the beach bums wordmark, the font is cool. I agree that the alt uni needs to be fixed, especially the word mark. All in all great job. it is cool to see some different things.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I like the surfing baseball idea as well, but I would think you need to change your locale for that logo to work. There just isn't alot of surfing going on in TC, or anywhere on Lake Michigan, for that matter.

That's a very, very nice update, Turk. Two things:

-- Move your wordmarks up -- they should be in the big space between the second and third buttons (that's what the space is for. ;))

-- You still have a case of double elements on the blue and grey uniforms -- The "TC" on the hat and blue uniform, and the "TC" on the sleeve of the Grey and "Traverse City" on the front is a bit redundant, I think. Change up your elements a bit, and it'll flow better.

Nice changes, though, I like them.

And Joel, you probably already know this, but the Traverse City Beach Bums are a real minor league team in the Frontier League.

philly.png

A definite improvement

I liked your first rendition of the surfing ball better. The white legs and arms are too much. I thought of a solution after I posted, but I wanted to see what you did with it and I think you took a slight step backwards with this element. I agree with you that the feet and hands need to be white (like shoes and gloves). But what if you made the legs--and possibly arms-- blue to "blend into" the outline of the ball? It's still a great looking logo, I just think that set up is best. I could be wrong though. The new surf board is miles better.

While I'm not a huge fan of the "shaka" since you made the surfing ball the primary, it's definitely a winner. I'd think about changing the background circle to something other than tan to make the hand stand out a little bit more.

Individually the jerseys are great but Big Brain hits it on the money with the "double element" problem. This can be solved with one simple adjustment: make the alternate the away and the away the alternate. Keep the hats the same. You solve the double element problem and you provide a more traditional-looking away jersey as the away. I'm not completely sold on the number font, but that's just a minor gripe.

Again, overall this is a great improvement. A few tweaks and a jersey switch and you've got something to be really proud of.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Archived