Why isn't Wisconsin a bigger hockey state?

illwauk

Yeah, I know one guy in Racine who went to multiple Admirals games in a season. It seems like an afterthought for most people, and occasionally with volunteer groups doing outings. But like I said, it comes down to media. The Admirals aren't on TV (except for Time Warner Sports, which produces less than exciting broadcasts), and they're almost never on the news. If Wisconsin ever got a pro team, it would probably be UW, because that's the only team people care about. And even at that, most people (me) don't even care.

By the way, what's the big complaint about the Bradley Center being 20 years old? Like if I had contracted a new arena to be built and I met with the architects, how would I complete this phrase?

"For amenities, I'd like it to be similar to the Bradley Center, except with new or improved _______________."

"For amenities, I'd like it to be similar to the Bradley Center, except with new or improved _______________."

quantity of luxury boxes, is my guess. Not knowing much about the place, I think they probably have fewer luxury boxes than the new places (which now have two tiers). I am sure Joe Fan or Joe Season Ticket Holder could have a fine experience. But It's about luxury box revenue.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

To be fair, all of the former IHL teams who are now in the AHL have taken a nosedive in attendance. When the Ads were in the IHL, they'd reguarly draw crowds of 8,000 and could easily break the 10,000 barrier when a big rival (like Chicago) came to town.

Anyway, I guess what I'm really not understanding is how the Bradley Center has successfully hosted the Frozen Four 3 times and either Marquette or UWM (most likely MU though... since they have more money and access to the BC) hasn't said "hey, we're in a huge market for college hockey and in a state that produces a lot of hockey players, maybe we should start a team."

another state i've been curious on is Indiana. Michigan and Illinois and maybe ohio are good hockey states but it seems once you cross in to indiana hockey dies. i wonder why? besides the obvious autoracing thing.

Wisconsin is a puzzler to me as well. Why on Earth Milwaukee isn't part of the NHL and Nashville and Columbus are, I'll never understand.

This thread doesnt help you understand? Wisconsin probably isn't anymore of a hockey state than Tennessee and Ohio is definitely more of a hockey state.

Though the reason I always heard was that the owner of the Bucks didn't want an NHL team to compete with in his arena. I'm not sure if theres any truth to that or not. Not to mention the Admirals have horrible support. I remember when they were in the Calder Cup finals and there were like 10 people in the stands. That's not a very good case to get yourself an NHL team.

Now granted I'm not from Milwaukee, so I can't say it one way or the other, but I'm willing to bet that the instability in regards to the team's future that was only settled a couple of years ago played a part in that (basically, they almost folded because the trust the Pettits set up after their death was close to running out of cash IIRC). At least the Admirals have an owner now.

In regards to that 1990 quote...might I direct the Pettit's attention to the 1991 Turner Cup Champion Peoria Rivermen? ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I believe either next semester or in the summer I will be taking a Sports Marketing and another type of Sports Business class for my Masters degree. I know that this class has a project where they want you to take a team and re-locate it and run the numbers and see if it's feasible...why or why not...etc. I already know I'm going to hypothetically relocate the Nashville Predators to Milwaukee. So, we'll revisit this thread in a few months when the project is complete (probably in May) and mabye it will shed some light on things?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived