Melbourne Demons AFL

rmered

Not really.

The Melbourne Tigers basketball team made some money from sponsorships with Chinese companys.

So the Melbourne Demons thought they'd have a go too.

No other AFL team is seriously entertaining expansion to China, and Essendon is the closest forming an agreement with Japanese company Yakult.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Now you piqued my interest. So are you talking that the teams are gonna market themselves abroad. I thought that would be something the league would do. Will they make there own TV deals like Notre Dame?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Now you piqued my interest. So are you talking that the teams are gonna market themselves abroad. I thought that would be something the league would do. Will they make there own TV deals like Notre Dame?

In regard to sponsorship, yes. Any company can sponsor an AFL team.

So some clubs are spreading to overseas markets to try and get sponsorship.

Worked for Essendon and Yakult, and apparently Melbourne has had some success gaining sponsorship from Chinese companies.

Last year Carlton were sponsored by JNC, a Korean electronics manufacturer I've still never seen a product from.

(They quit their sponsorship after one year; but I guess their money is in the bank.)

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Hell will freeze over before the AFL lets go of control over the TV rights :)

The league does its own work in marketing the game (generally) to some overseas markets - South Africa is a focus at the moment - but it doesn't stop the clubs from pursuing their own marketing interests.

Of course the real money is in the O/S companies who want to break into the Australian market rather than the O/S fans who want to discover our game.

Archived