My perfect college football system.

fishheatcats

Rather than re-doing conferences, I'd say just make it so that the big conferences have to play teams in other big confereces. So it'd be whatever conference games they play, and all non-conference games would have to be from another big conf. Designate big, mid, small. Like the current BCS conferences would be the big, and so on and so forth. Then whoever wins those conferences championships would be automatically in the top 6 seeds of the tournament. The Mid-Majors would be set a certain range of seeds, and same with the smaller schools. Leave some open for a few at-large bids. This forces teams to play a tougher schedule through the regular season, and helps quiet any qualms about some high ranked teams playing a much softer schedule than other teams that they think should be ranked higher.

Set up similar to this:

Major Conferences: ACC, Big XII, Big East, Big 10, Pac 10, and SEC.

Mid-Major Conferences: COnference USA, Mountain West, WAC.

Minor Conferences: Mid-American and Sun Belt.

Independents:

-Notre Dame grouped with Major Conferences, should they have a good enough record and ranking to make an At-Large bid, they'd be guaranteed one.

-Army and Navy grouped with Mid-Majors

-Western Kentucky. I'm not sure which they would better fall under, Mid-Major or Minor. I'll let someone else judge that.

Tournament Seeding:

>Major Conferences Champions would get Seeds 1-6 or 7, depending on Notre Dame and where their ranking should designate them being seeded.

>Mid-Majors, along with At-Large Majors (and even an At-Large Mid-Major or two), would be distributed throughout the 7 or 8 (depending on ND) through 14 seeds (this meaning Notre Dame could be seeded as low as 14 if deemed good enough to get into the tournament, but not a higher seed).

>The 2 Minor Conferences would automatically get the 15th and 16th seeds.

Western Kentucky is joining the Sun Belt as soon as their "transition" is over. Just a fyi.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rather than re-doing conferences, I'd say just make it so that the big conferences have to play teams in other big confereces. So it'd be whatever conference games they play, and all non-conference games would have to be from another big conf. Designate big, mid, small. Like the current BCS conferences would be the big, and so on and so forth. Then whoever wins those conferences championships would be automatically in the top 6 seeds of the tournament. The Mid-Majors would be set a certain range of seeds, and same with the smaller schools. Leave some open for a few at-large bids. This forces teams to play a tougher schedule through the regular season, and helps quiet any qualms about some high ranked teams playing a much softer schedule than other teams that they think should be ranked higher.

Set up similar to this:

Major Conferences: ACC, Big XII, Big East, Big 10, Pac 10, and SEC.

Mid-Major Conferences: COnference USA, Mountain West, WAC.

Minor Conferences: Mid-American and Sun Belt.

Independents:

-Notre Dame grouped with Major Conferences, should they have a good enough record and ranking to make an At-Large bid, they'd be guaranteed one.

-Army and Navy grouped with Mid-Majors

-Western Kentucky. I'm not sure which they would better fall under, Mid-Major or Minor. I'll let someone else judge that.

Tournament Seeding:

>Major Conferences Champions would get Seeds 1-6 or 7, depending on Notre Dame and where their ranking should designate them being seeded.

>Mid-Majors, along with At-Large Majors (and even an At-Large Mid-Major or two), would be distributed throughout the 7 or 8 (depending on ND) through 14 seeds (this meaning Notre Dame could be seeded as low as 14 if deemed good enough to get into the tournament, but not a higher seed).

>The 2 Minor Conferences would automatically get the 15th and 16th seeds.

i like the idea, but i see something that i personally don't like about the independents. MAKE THEM JOIN CONFERENCES. i don't like the idea of an independent getting an automatic bid without having to win a conference tournament. i know it would never happen either way, as has been said, but still, just wanted to point that out.

Well, right now, for sake of argument since there are Independents, they would have to have a high enough ranking to make it in. And by my original statement, they'd have to play a schedule entirely comprised of teams at their level.

Although, and applied to all schools, allowing, but not having to, one game to each team to be played between a Major and Mid-Major could help the case for a Mid-Major, though may hurt the Major, depending on the quality of the team of the Mid-major.

Archived