Home Team Determination in Bowl Games

rock55choc

As the most wonderful time of the year (bowl season, of course) approaches, I began to wonder. Exactly what or who determines which team is the home or away team in a bowl game. Is it determined by records, the bowl commisioner, or just a mutual agreement by the respective coaches? I would appreciate your response. Thanks.

P.S. - I came across this question because my team, the Mississippi State Bulldogs are playing the Central Florida Golden Knights in the Liberty Bowl. In UCF's game vs. Tulsa in the CUSA Championship, the Knights wore their light gold jerseys against Tulsa's all white uniforms. If UCF were to again wear the light gold in the Liberty, then I began to wonder should MState wear their all maroon to counter, instead of wearing white against light gold. Again, Thanks.

LibertyBowl.png

I was wondering the same thing. I think it may just be alternating between the two conferences. If that holds true, then in the game I care about (UVa vs. Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl), UVa would wear white, because last year the ACC team (Georgia Tech) wore their colored jerseys.

Just a thought.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

As the most wonderful time of the year (bowl season, of course) approaches, I began to wonder. Exactly what or who determines which team is the home or away team in a bowl game. Is it determined by records, the bowl commisioner, or just a mutual agreement by the respective coaches? I would appreciate your response.

I think it varies from bowl to bowl. IIRC some bowls designate the geographically closest team to the game site as the home team.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived