"Mirrored" unis

vicfurth

excluding soccer and the above Hawks example, I'll give it a go:

NBA

Sacramento Kings late 80s-very early 90s: home whites used royal blue and red lettering/trim, roads were powder blue with white/red lettering and trim with no royal in sight

KC Kings: minor nitpick, but Kings script on home whites had an underscore, while the Kansas City script on the roads lacked one. (come to think of it, the current Kings home/away sort of count)

Bulls early 80s: home was BULLS in block letters, road was script Chicago

Nuggets late 80s: Nuggets (jersey) and Denver (shorts) wordmarks were gold trimmed in blue on the white jerseys; white outlined in blue and gold on the road

Nets 89-the infamous road tiedye blues versus tiedye-free home whites

Rockets 80s-95 shorts: home whites used Rockets main logo, road reds used Rockets wordmark

Pistons: whites' sides are red-thin white-blue, blues' sides are red-white-red

Spurs ABA days until late 80s: at least with the late 80s set I recall the home whites and road blacks were completely different in design. The blacks IIRC used the Bulls-style diamond shorts (spur instead of bull, naturally) while the home shorts at some point began resembling the current ones.

NHL

Penguins for most of the "Hummingbird" era: none of the three black jerseys used while that was the primary logo matched the home whites exactly...probably for the best.

current Wild...yall seen em.

TML late 20s-most of the 30s...home blues used the hooped sleeves that the present day socks take their pattern from, the second/road whites were initially just white sweaters with the leaf and a number, later they added adidas-style stripes on the hem, chest and sleeves

Habs...yall seen em for years

Red Wings...see Habs

Islanders traditional....the home and away striping were always a bit different from each other

Blackhawks...barberpole and modern eras. the difference was far more pronounced in the barberpole era, as the whites even had a front number instead of cresting when it was introduced. obviously the modern era's main difference is notably different striping

Rangers...again, notable striping differences plus the white's yoke, absent on the blues

Bruins at various points in their history, though not since the mid 60s

of course the Senators until this season

Blues back in the day...like the Rangers, whites had a yoke, blues didn't

North Stars and Stars...seems like it's a tradition for there to be noticeable differences between the homes and aways

Thrashers current

Predators: whites' crest uses the sabertooth tiger w/triangle, blues use the version sans triangle

MLB...vic, this is gonna be waaaaay too easy

home and away are completely different

Cubs

White Sox

Yankees

Tigers

home and away are slightly different

Twins (stylized team name vs. block state name)

Red Sox (differing use of piping)

Reds (home left chest logo vs. road city name)

Giants (different style front lettering and sleeve logos)

Astros (home-pinstriped, road-plain. scripts used are similar)

Brewers (different sleeve patches-home: M-state, away: Milwaukee version of primary)

Padres (different style scripts)

Marlins (home pinstripes vs. road piping...ask me in 01, they woulda been on the other list)

Mets (home script vs. road fancy lettering)

Rangers (homes use front number, roads don't)

you said no soccer....you aint say nothin about aussie rules though

Port Adelaide: eh well, both are garbage IMO, just different brands of crap

Carlton: clash whites have navy sides, home navys are solid navy

Kangaroos: home is blue-white stripes, clash is blue with white V and logo

Adelaide: homes are navy-gold-red hoops, roads have minimized hoops with crow on front, clash is now a big ass blue crow on a red and gold jumper

Fremantle: home purples have one green and one red chest panel beneath white anchor; clash whites use no red or green, just a purple anchor

West Coast Eagles: navy jumper is 1/3 gold and 1/3 white on front; royal blue jumper has gold eagle wings on front

and then i'm tired...so I stop here.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

NBA

. . .

Spurs ABA days until late 80s: at least with the late 80s set I recall the home whites and road blacks were completely different in design. The blacks IIRC used the Bulls-style diamond shorts (spur instead of bull, naturally) while the home shorts at some point began resembling the current ones.

. . .

Ah, the San Antonio Spurs - they actually went from mirror to non-mirror and now they are back to essentially mirror images.

Back in the ABA (at least once they became the Spurs; I'm not counting the Dallas Chapparals) and even through at least their first NBA season the home uniforms were the Bulls-style diamond shorts; however the home uniforms were grey. They have trotted these out as throwbacks (but with a pretty horrible shiny silver-grey fabric) a couple of times. These may have even been worn in 1977/78, their second NBA season. I honestly can't remember when the first white home came in, but they did switch during the late 1970s. The white home jersey was close to the current jersey - it had black side panels (without any piping or border) and they had two spur logos on the panel. The front numbers weren't centered, they were on the left of the jersey. The first version of the shorts had unusual stripes - from the front they looked like typical "bottom of the shorts" stripes but in the back they arched up across the middle of the shorts. I guess they were supposed to look like part of a spur. After a year or two they went to just normal bottom-of-the-shorts stripes front and back.

Archived