Fantasy basketball team

chestnutz

Well, for the past week I've been searching for inspiration for either a fantasy team or a current pro team re-do. Last night I decided on Dragons, I don't know why. I originally had it as New York Dragons (seems to be popular) but decided for a city that actually made sense, in Beijing China.

Well, after numerous google image searches of dragons, I finally decided on this logo. I think it turned out alright, still unsure about the wordmark, and especially the secondary logo, which I could use some help with.

Uniforms will come once logos are finalized.

BeijingDragonslogos.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I think the primary logo and the wordmark are fantastic. I'm not such a big fan of the secondary logo, however. It seems out of place: the other ones are empty-space and the secondary is filled in, the secondary is the only one with a black outline, etc.

The wordmark is by far my favorite element, so working from that in terms of sharpness, curves, etc. would be the best (if you are to change the secondary, that is). If you change anything else, I'd go with a more simple eye on the dragon in the primary, or maybe one without the black, which looks hand-drawn and possibly in the wrong expression.

The secondary logo is just not working. The ball with wings looks like it doesn't belong with the wordmark or logo. Maybe try a dragons wrapped around a ball?

One other thing. The amount of black in the secondary percentage-wise is much greater than that included in the other two pieces of this project. Whatever direction you go in, try and balance the color usage better.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I agree completely with both of you. I knew the secondary was messed up, just looks out of place. Looks more like a logo for a Bats team to me.

I also noticed that their is a lot of black and fill in the secondary, while in the others there aren't. I think I may scrap the secondary completely. Does anyone have any ideas for a secondary? I was thinking of maybe just doing the chinese symbol for Dragon, but thought that would be a cop out in a way. Want to be more creative than that, but it would make a great secondary IMO.

quantum, I actually had that idea for a secondary. I did a bunch of drawings with a dragon tail wrapping up a ball, but I'm just not that talented (yet) and it always turned out weird. Any tips are appreciated.

spacer.png

I had one idea for the secondary, and I tried sketching it out but it didn't look that good. Of the three flames coming out of the dragon's mouth in the primary, I like the one on the far right. I think that something with a flame and/or the Chinese symbol would make a good secondary logo.

leggman, I purposely did that. To me at least, it just looks a lot more fluent and simple, which I wanted. I didn't want one of those really detailed dragon logos with tons of colors, but a simple yet effective one.

I'm gonna have a go at hubcaps' secondary idea, so I'll have an update soon. Any other things that need updating you think?

spacer.png

only thing i have against this design is that the secondary logo looks like a round football. lol

i think it might work if you maybe added some silver in with the color scheme, and took out the white. then you could maybe change the color of the ball, and extend the lines on the ball so it doesnt look like pigskin.

one thing i think might be cool as a secondary is to have a scorched basketball. like it has been burnt by the dragon. just a thought.

solid design though, cant wait to see the jerseys.

Picture21.png

Alright, here's a new secondary. It's the chinese dragon symbol, edited with a dragon tail and the fire spurt SHINYHUBCAPS suggested.

Also added another color scheme, navy and yellow. I know it's like Drexel's, but it looks good I think. Let me know what you guys like more.

BeijingDragonslogossvg.png

BeijingDragonsnavyandgoldsvg.png

spacer.png

leggman, I purposely did that. To me at least, it just looks a lot more fluent and simple, which I wanted. I didn't want one of those really detailed dragon logos with tons of colors, but a simple yet effective one.

don't take offense to this, but rather than making it look "simple yet effective", it looks amateurish - you could acheive the look i'm talking about without adding a single color...in fact, you could add one horizontal line to the top and bottom jaw and get some separation between the teeth and what i would call the "lip"

jldesigns404eo.png

Color-wise, I think you should use the red in your first concept (maybe slightly brighter) with a warmer yellow than what you've posted from the second concept. If you want to use black for a trim color, that might be OK too.

As for the secondary, you could use a gong with the chinese character in the center. This could be encircled by a wreath of flames.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived