Bobby Knight Resigns from Texas Tech

DarkJourney

Well he made sure his players got good grades, and never cheated. Never did illegal recruiting, never paid players, never fixed grades.

I think that says allot about his character.

So does choking Neal Reid, kicking his son on the sidelines, slapping that Tech's player's chin a couple years ago, throwing stuff at his secretary and his BOSS, his blatant disrespect for Myles Brand (when both were at Indiana), his clearly inappropriate language/behavior at most of his press conferences...just because you don't cheat doesn't mean you have character. Please don't confuse character with integrity.

I gave him his due...he is a great coach. I mentioned that he did lots for charity. Hell, I'll even laud his integrity, but you CAN very easily question his character. I don't mind people liking him. He reminds a lot of people of a previous generation. "The good ol' days," "when men where men." That's fine, but you can't tell the story of Bobby Knight and leave out all the anger/bitterness/misery/stupidity. It's just as much of a part of his legacy as 902 wins, 3 NCAA titles, the undefeated season, the 1984 Olympics, and his stellar graduation rates.

I used to think he was a great coach / person, that "tough love" was the way to go, that anyone who can't take it is a :censored:, that kids are coddled by their parents these days, etc.

Then I grew up.

Too bad Knight never did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived