Bobby Knight Resigns from Texas Tech

DarkJourney

Wow.

I guess he really was unhappy about the fan support.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow.

I guess he really was unhappy about the fan support.

That's probably a lot of it. He also probably wanted to hit the milestone, and after hitting it, didn't feel the drive anymore. And, since his son is taking over, leads me to believe that he was a caretaker coach at this point.

VmWIn6B.png

Why? Weren't they doing all right?

12-8, 3-3, tied for 6th in the Big XII.

So-so.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow.. This really caught me off guard as well.

But, I agree with what LMUPepbander said: After reaching 900 wins, he accomplished what he wanted and figured the time is now to leave.

(Oh, and a note for those in the Carolinas: The first Texas Tech game post-Knight will be on ESPN in place of Duke-UNC)

Apparently he talked to someone who said it would be a smoother transition if his son took over now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3230737

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Good. Now he can come back to Indiana!

I met him once in a gas station, here in Salem. He's a freakin' riot, and he paid for my soda. I don't care how many outbursts he has on the court- Off the court, he's a really mellow, down to Earth guy.

And I'd take him over Sampson any day of the week.

Sigs are for sissies.

I'm a little saddened to see "Uncle Bob" resign, but even though I've always been a supporter of his I do think this is a little past due. And thanks to his on the court success, I'll probably be having people ask me if I'm related to him for the rest of my life.

98Falcons.png

I bet he killed a kid or something.

But seriously, I think Knight is one of the most overrated coaches of all time. Sure has has 3 titles, but what have you done for me lately? Way past his prime.

IDK...902 career wins indicate he does something right.

Today, we are all otaku.

Great coach, questionable character (though he does LOTS for charity), and a miserable human being.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well he made sure his players got good grades, and never cheated. Never did illegal recruiting, never paid players, never fixed grades.

I think that says allot about his character.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well he made sure his players got good grades, and never cheated. Never did illegal recruiting, never paid players, never fixed grades.

So does choking Neal Reid, kicking his son on the sidelines, slapping that Tech's player's chin a couple years ago, throwing stuff at his secretary and his BOSS, his blatant disrespect for Myles Brand (when both were at Indiana), his clearly inappropriate language/behavior at most of his press conferences...just because you don't cheat doesn't mean you have character. Please don't confuse character with integrity.

I gave him his due...he is a great coach. I mentioned that he did lots for charity. Hell, I'll even laud his integrity, but you CAN very easily question his character. I don't mind people liking him. He reminds a lot of people of a previous generation. "The good ol' days," "when men where men." That's fine, but you can't tell the story of Bobby Knight and leave out all the anger/bitterness/misery/stupidity. It's just as much of a part of his legacy as 902 wins, 3 NCAA titles, the undefeated season, the 1984 Olympics, and his stellar graduation rates.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Great coach, questionable character (though he does LOTS for charity), and a miserable human being.

I'm not sure about the charity part, but this sounds a bit like one Mr. Belichick.

Oddly, this does not sound much like Mr. Belichick.

All that said, I think Knight is a brilliant coach. However, his legacy will be forever tainted by all of the other issues.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Speaking of him and Belichick, apparently Knight, Belichick, and Tony La Russa are all pretty tight (with young Billy Donovan sneaking into the group a bit). I love that Tony's friends with Bobby Knight. HATE that he's friends with Belichick.

Even though he was an Indiana coach, I love the guy.

Some of the things he's done are questionable, but I think ultimately it's a positive legacy. Certainly it's true you can't ignore or separate any of the negatives from the positives though. I'm not in favor of abuse of anyone, but a lot of his incidents just stem from passion. I also think some of them (the chin slap specifically) were pretty dang overblown. But no doubt there's plenty of negatives. You're likely to find that in most though.

Archived