Suns-Lakers Rivalry

Bronxmet

Although this has been an unnoticed rivalry (opposed to Lakers-Celtics or Knicks-Heat), the Suns-Lakers rivalry dates back to 1970. With both teams fighting for the Pacific Division title, what do you like about this rivalry? You can explain anything recent or from back in the day.

I don't know how much of a rivalry I'd really consider it right now. I mean, yeah, on the one hand the teams have met a few times in the playoffs thus far, the whole Kobe/Raja Bell schtick, now Kobe vs. Shaq. On the other hand, Phoenix has had the upperhand in the playoffs each time... had the Lakers gotten the job done the first time around I'd consider this much more of a rivalry. I think a lot of this is just sportscasters making a huge deal over any iffy circumstance regarding Kobe Bryant.

All that said, I'm really hoping they meet in the playoffs again this season. This year, moreso than the previous two, would be a really entertaining series in that both teams are evenly talented, whereas prior to the Gasol deal, the Suns were the favorite and LA was just starting to mature. With Bynum back by then, a Bynum vs. Shaq, Gasol vs. Amare, Hill vs. Odom and Kobe vs Nash/Bell would be fantastic confrontations. Not to mention run-and-gun offense vs. a triangle offense that can finally reach its full potential with the Lakers' complete frontcourt. That series, like any other involving the Suns, would come down to defense... and I'd have to go with LA in that respect. Anytime you've got a guy like Kobe, the best two-way player in the game (and since MJ) who can carry the scoring load AND lock-down the opposing teams best perimeter player, that team has to have a huge advantage. Not to mention likely having homecourt and finally having some more championship experience on the team with Derek Fisher back on the bench.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Although this has been an unnoticed rivalry (opposed to Lakers-Celtics or Knicks-Heat), the Suns-Lakers rivalry dates back to 1970. With both teams fighting for the Pacific Division title, what do you like about this rivalry? You can explain anything recent or from back in the day.

While there is history there, I'd like to point out that that the Knicks-Heat rivalry has only existed since the 1988-1989 season. In fact, outside of New York and Miami, it's not really seen as a big deal. Pistons-Pacers on the other hand....

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

LAL has 18 division titles to six for PHX. Others were correct, not a rivalry.

While there is history there, I'd like to point out that that the Knicks-Heat rivalry has only existed since the 1988-1989 season. In fact, outside of New York and Miami, it's not really seen as a big deal. Pistons-Pacers on the other hand....

Do you say this only because of the 2004 brawl? Other than that, I don't really think it's been that big. Besides, nothing is great about the Pacers right now with the minimum hubbub that they're making (attendance-wise).

Anyway, none of the NBA rivalries even matter much. MLB and NFL are much better with rivalries. NBA seems to be about superstars, where the "big match-up" is a one-time billing; like if the Lakers played the Cavaliers, it would be a bigger story (Bryant/James) than if the Lakers played the Suns.

Archived