OKC NBA TEAM

dbackdiehard17

It almost seems like you are trying to support my point.

The Yankees simplicity of uniforms is due to the fact that it will sell well regardless of how flashy they make it. Thats why it has remained the same for so long. Now, look at the two most recent expansions - Arizona and TB. Both joined the league with very detail oriented, eyecatching. "unnecessary" (as ERay would probably put it) designs. Why? A new team typically goes with a very unique design to attract fans. Even if it (god forbid) costs money. So having a unique number font(S) is no different. Teams will shell out money to make a uniform look unique.

I'll start with the Hawks since they are first on your list. The hawks have a white collar. This costs more than not having a white collar. QED.

As for your last paragraph, I will tell you, as a DC native, that the Wiz gold alternate jerseys are VERY popular here. Yet, the media, fans, commentators, ESPN announcers, even commentors here on CC thing those things are hideous. You cant take the national viewpoint and say "Oh everyone in OKC would hate that number font". As you being to follow a team it grows on you. It happened with the gold Wiz jerseys in DC and it will happen if OKC gets "ugly" unis.

How has this become such a big deal with you? You bring up unrelated topics to "back up" your stance on this, and it confuses me. What does the Yanks' lack of nameplates, the Wizards' gold jerseys, and Arizona or TB have to do with this? None of those things feature wacky number fonts for no reason. If the font looked good, but made it so each digit had 3 different variations, you might have an argument...but you haven't reached that yet. You are being overly defensive about something that is easy to change, and would make everyone other than you feel better about your concept. I just don't see why you feel the need to argue this so much, you have no good reason to make the numbers the way you did. Style for style's sake is never a good thing...form over function, or function over form?

and your number font is "unneccesary", while having unique trim, colors, or logos is not, so don't put words in my mouth.

Thank you, eRay.

And that last line pretty much sums up what I planned to say in response.

Neither the Devil Rays or the Diamondbacks, though both terribly designed, were as radical and unnecessary as these "OK City" jerseys with two styles for the same number.

Can we say "rainbow color gradient"??? LOL.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the logistics or financial issues of the excess number fonts, it's just plain ugly. Please do not lose sight of this. Has anyone seen the jerseys for The Swing of the Quad Cities? They tried the two different number fonts thing, and it was hideous. It looks kooky, like a minor league team. And if a team wants to market to 10-year-olds, that's fine, but kids don't have money. And this isn't Space Jam. I'm not trying to stereotype NBA players, but I think they would prefer to look like men, with jerseys that look professional. An important tip about design: You must be able to justify every decision you make aesthetically. So, please indulge me as to what your reason is for the kooky numbers.

Aside from the logistics or financial issues of the excess number fonts, it's just plain ugly. Please do not lose sight of this. Has anyone seen the jerseys for The Swing of the Quad Cities? They tried the two different number fonts thing, and it was hideous. It looks kooky, like a minor league team. And if a team wants to market to 10-year-olds, that's fine, but kids don't have money. And this isn't Space Jam. I'm not trying to stereotype NBA players, but I think they would prefer to look like men, with jerseys that look professional. An important tip about design: You must be able to justify every decision you make aesthetically. So, please indulge me as to what your reason is for the kooky numbers.

If this is becoming purely a "I think its ugly" argument, then it is pointless. Clearly at least one person likes the design (the OP). I was trying to make a point that it shouldnt be tossed simply beacuse it will cost more to accomodate the numbering style; if teams discarded every idea because it would "cost more" then there would be very, very, very, very little evolution of jerseys. But again if you are just here to say "its ugly, i dont like it, how can you like it" then that becomes kind of a pointless argument.

But again if you are just here to say "its ugly, i dont like it, how can you like it" then that becomes kind of a pointless argument.

Most of the responses in this thread have digressed to pointless arguments.

I think it's safe to say to the originator of this thread, Dback, go back to the drawing board, refine your concept, and try again.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

One that I would personally love to see done is the Oklahoma City Barons, as in oil barons. I'm picturing a black, gold, and silver color set... Maybe that will get someone going...

Scratch that... looks like someone already did it!

awaygy4.jpg

homeik4-1.jpg

StadiumSig.gif

Archived