Islanders crest question...

hjwii

The story I've heard is that the original Islanders logo was thrown together in a matter of days. Aesthetically it may not be perfect, but neither are any great number of logos that have been around for 30+ years. Marketing products based on colors and swashbuckling cartoony mascot logos wasn't what a team's crest and uniform used to be about. Tradition tends to outweigh new fan appeal in most circles, thank goodness, otherwise we'd have seen some terrible redesigns of some of sports most famous logos for the mere sake of keeping with the times.

With all that said, there is an entire generation who has grown up with an NHL without the North Stars or Whalers or Jets, but who have instead been raised with the Mighty Ducks, Coyotes and Hurricanes. To them, I would wager most of the league's logos look rather one dimensional and stale at this point. Thankfully, since we're on the subject, the Islanders showed what happens when someone makes a mistake of gargantuan proportions in an attempt to recreate a traditional team identity.

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

When you win 4 cups in a row that crest will generally be well received in most people's minds.

This coming from a Rangers fan, they should switch back to the old blue and orange colors and jerseys. Sometimes championships DO make logos better...

As a Penguins fan, even I love the Islanders logo. I think it combines simplicity and creativity in a way not many other logos in sports do. The I pointing to where the Colesium is located, plus having a part of NY that isn't as bragged up as much as NYC and putting it in the logo makes those who live there proud.

Pittsburgh teams tend to go with gold and black, the colors of the city flag and representing the hometown fans, just as I see this logo doing.

The puck and stick with the NY make it a perfect hockey logo, and I'd honestly give it a 10/10.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived