Redesigning the St Catharines Collegiate Saints

aci

Well, to sum things up I went to two high schools, and I will be doing threads where I redesign the sports logos and uniforms of each of the school's teams.

I'm hoping to do ice hockey, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball and soccer for each school. To start with, I'm be doing the St. Catharines Collegiate Saints. Before anyone asks, they're a public school from the city of St Catharines, ON, and not a Catholic school honouring an actual saint. For the most part, the school just goes by 'Collegiate', and the teams play in a division of SOSSA, which itself is part of OFSSA. I'm not sure which level they play at now, because the schools population keeps taking weird swings, but at last check they were AAA. That was about 7 years ago, though, so who knows...

Anyways, this is a visual of some of the logos I've got for the teams now. I'll be doing a crest logo for the soccer team, which is still in the works. The school's colours are yellow, red and black, which I modified somewhat to make them more unique.

2m68ti8.jpg

The CI logo is essentially the same logo they use now on their hockey jerseys, which is what I used as a basis for designing a lot of their other uniforms. I tried to keep the logos simple, and they're pretty much all some type of wordmark. The wordmark they use for 'Saints' now is really weak, it looks like 6 different fonts all strung together in three different colours.

C&C welcome, the jerseys will be up over the next couple of days.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

First of all, I think you need to put Canadian High School Sports into perspective, as far as overall interest, budgets and attendance. This ain't no Friday Night Lights....

Now to your concepts.

First question I have is: are you trying to keep it as realistic as possible, i.e. doable, within a high school's (lack of) budget?

If not, go a little wilder.

At first I thought this was the "current" state and that you would follow-up with some of your stuff.

First think I say is: try to have a more consistent image across all sports, including the colour of the jerseys.

As for the logos, my favourite one is teh Basketball Tertiary / Hockey-Baseball Secondary: this would look great on a hockey jersey, on a football helmet or a baseball cap. That could be the one consisten element in the whole identity.

You have to lose the Basketball primary: look closely: an elongated rounded tip logo???

And finally, if this was a Provincial level team, I'd say the STC logo is o.k., but do you play any other St. Catharines schools tat could identify with the moniker? Is there a St. Cath's Tech?

I'll be looking forward to your uniforms...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

For the Saints' hockey jersey, they currently wear a re-coloured Montreal Canadiens jersey. The black jersey looks good. The yellow jersey does not.

To update them, I created a white 'away' jersey to replace the crappy-looking yellow one and made the black jersey the home jersey. I changed the logo on the jerseys to make them more interesting and to better reflect the team's nickname. I also added shoulder patches to both jerseys and gave them sleeve numbers, as well as putting player names on the back. Changed the pants colour from black to red because I felt there was plenty of black in the jerseys already, but a shortage of red.

i1afev.jpg

**side note** the yellow jersey I created doesn't do the actual jersey's crappiness due justice. The one I made has considerably better contrast, and you can actually read the numbers on it. Here is the real one:

ci%202007-08%20419_jpg.jpg

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

First of all, I think you need to put Canadian High School Sports into perspective, as far as overall interest, budgets and attendance. This ain't no Friday Night Lights....

Now to your concepts.

First question I have is: are you trying to keep it as realistic as possible, i.e. doable, within a high school's (lack of) budget?

If not, go a little wilder.

At first I thought this was the "current" state and that you would follow-up with some of your stuff.

First think I say is: try to have a more consistent image across all sports, including the colour of the jerseys.

As for the logos, my favourite one is teh Basketball Tertiary / Hockey-Baseball Secondary: this would look great on a hockey jersey, on a football helmet or a baseball cap. That could be the one consisten element in the whole identity.

You have to lose the Basketball primary: look closely: an elongated rounded tip logo???

And finally, if this was a Provincial level team, I'd say the STC logo is o.k., but do you play any other St. Catharines schools tat could identify with the moniker? Is there a St. Cath's Tech?

I'll be looking forward to your uniforms...

Thanks for the reply. I'll be trying to keep things realistic, and trying to give the school an identity. I'm trying to make as many things interchangeable as possible, and to limit the total number of pieces and the complexity of any of the individual uniforms.

I've realized already that the CI-halo is the most fun of all the logos to use, so I decided to make that the main logo whenever possible.

As for the STC, Collegiate is the only school that has 'Saint Catharines' in the name (Saint Catharies Collegiate and Vocational Institute, with the 'institute' being the reason for the 'CI'). Almost all the other schools in the city are named after historical figures, and 'Saint Catharines' definitely brings Collegiate to mind, and not any other school.

Thanks for the comments about the basketball primary. It did look a bit better before I blew it up in size, but not much. I think I might end up using the football-style logo on the basketball jerseys.

The basketball jerseys:

6xumma.jpg

Originally, I had white, black and red uniforms, but i figured it would be better cost-wise (and to match the hockey team) to eliminate the red one. The uniforms are similar in style to the hockey team, as well, with the horizontal chest stripes, numbering and the 'CI-halo' logo. I tried to keep the shorts as plain as possible, and felt that any striping on them would clash with the chest stripes, cost more and just generally be a waste.

C&C?

Give Me a Redesign for the Governor Simcoe Red Coats!!

The Lakeporte Lakers!!

While yer at it, you can do Merriton, Grantham, Laura Secord, Kernahan Park and Dennis Morris too!

Well, Merritton and Grantham don't exist anymore (the former is now a private school, the latter a Catholic school), but I was definitely planning on doing a Thorold Secondary set after this. Maybe if I get good feedback on this set, I'll do these kinds of designs for every high school in the Niagara Region. That could be fun... if I did, though, it'd probably be sport-by-sport instead of school-by-school.

Saints baseball:

2mz9wqt.jpg

I tried keep these as simple as possible, which meant that aside from the chest stripes, they're completely unadorned by stripes, piping, panels, patches, etc.

The font is the same as the font for the other jerseys, I find that it's very classic and can belong on any uniform for any sport, and that it goes well with the striping. The two jerseys will share a common pair of pairs, a belt, socks and cap, with the cap logo being the 'CI-halo'.

The black 'road' jersey has the 'STC' logo on it (I was debating whether to use that, the CI-halo again, or the 'Collegiate' wordmark), while the white 'home' jersey has the 'Saints' wordmark.

The basketball jerseys:

6xumma.jpg

Originally, I had white, black and red uniforms, but i figured it would be better cost-wise (and to match the hockey team) to eliminate the red one. The uniforms are similar in style to the hockey team, as well, with the horizontal chest stripes, numbering and the 'CI-halo' logo. I tried to keep the shorts as plain as possible, and felt that any striping on them would clash with the chest stripes, cost more and just generally be a waste.

C&C?

I really like how your giving the entire school uniformity on the uniforms, that is one thing that high schools are not very good at doing. For example, the high school I go to, Catholic Central, whose nickname is the Shamrocks. I've seen about four different interlocking "c's" logo(one for football, another for hockey, another for Baseball, and a third for the Academic school) while there is about ten different shamrock logos (a different one for pretty much every sport, this includes a rip-off of the celtics logo, and another one for the school crest.) It bugs me that if you buy a Catholic Central shirt with a shamrock on it, no matter what sport you go to the team has a different logo than the one on my shirt. So, i think it is very good that not only are you keeping the logos uniform, but also the general jersey designs.

The basketball jerseys:

6xumma.jpg

C&C?

I really like how your giving the entire school uniformity on the uniforms, that is one thing that high schools are not very good at doing. For example, the high school I go to, Catholic Central, whose nickname is the Shamrocks. I've seen about four different interlocking "c's" logo(one for football, another for hockey, another for Baseball, and a third for the Academic school) while there is about ten different shamrock logos (a different one for pretty much every sport, this includes a rip-off of the celtics logo, and another one for the school crest.) It bugs me that if you buy a Catholic Central shirt with a shamrock on it, no matter what sport you go to the team has a different logo than the one on my shirt. So, i think it is very good that not only are you keeping the logos uniform, but also the general jersey designs.

Thanks, that's precisely what I was going for. Collegiate's uniform/logo set right now is more weak than mis-matched, but I've definitely noticed some school teams wear red, others wear black, and that the identity isn't as strong as it could be. The other school I'll be doing is a lot worse right now. Their main sport logo is a total rip-off the Philly Eagles, and it's just recoloured to purple, they don't even use the same types of gold in their uniforms, etc.

Saints football:

28qwaoz.jpg

Black andwhite jerseys, just like the other sports. I decided to move the stripes to the sleeves for this, and keep it as plain as possible otherwise. The pants are interchangeable, and the socks and helmet are the same for both uniform sets. The helmet stripe is identical to the sleeve stripes.

Boo-urns to CI!

I go to Secord lol.

I like pretty much everything you've done, especially with the hockey jerseys. Also the basketball jerseys look pretty cool with the wordmarks.

The only thing I don't really like is the lack of gold/yellow helmets for the football team. Other than that, nice updates.

Boo-urns to CI!

I go to Secord lol.

I like pretty much everything you've done, especially with the hockey jerseys. Also the basketball jerseys look pretty cool with the wordmarks.

The only thing I don't really like is the lack of gold/yellow helmets for the football team. Other than that, nice updates.

Thanks for the comments! I was definitely considering going with the gold helmets for CI, but even the ones they have now are pretty ugly. I know a bunch of people who go to Secord, though, that's awesome.

Volleyball:

m4vtc.jpg

This design is based on an ad I found on the net; I just traced the shirt outline so I had something to work with. According to the original, the bits where the 'sleeves' would be are just mesh, the rest would be a normal material. I kept the chest stripes, but had them cut off at the mesh as opposed to continuing over it, and used the halo logo on the chest.

Because it's volleyball, and the teams don't really cross over onto each others sides or anything, I didn't make a white alternate uniform, they would just wear the black for all games, home or away.

C&C welcome, as always!

Soccer:

30ug6t1.jpg

Reversible shorts and shirt, black on one side, white n the other, with a crest logo and angled gold/red/gold stripes on the shoulders.

That's it for this series, please let me know what you think of it!

Archived