Hollywood Stars

Discrim

When most folks think of the Hollywood Stars nowadays, shorts usually come to mind (as in "hey, weren't they the team that wore shorts 20 years before the Sox did?"), but they also had a rivalry with the original Angels that was as bitter as Dodgers-Giants. The Twinks, as they were lovingly called, wore several different uniforms before they were forced to bow out of the game. What I present to you, I worked on as if I would be crafting the look of the newest member of the Golden League, or possibly the California League...without further ado, I proudly present the Hollywood Stars!

Identity Sheet

hollywoodlogosheet.png

Home and Away

hollywoodmain.png

Modern Alternates

hollywoodalt.png

"Rewind" Alternates

hollywoodrewind.png

yeah, if you saw the Dodgers alt I posted last week, the spotlight got recycled. And yes......those are indeed new shorts! :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It looks really cool. The only thing that could make it better is if the home and away scripts could resemble eachother a little more. This could draw comparisons to Vanderbilt as well. But it is a great idea and the jerseys look really good.

Now that I look at it, the primary has an awful lot of black.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I should clarify something: that aint black, it's graphite

*feeds Braden beggin strip*

and I didn't feel the home and away scripts looking different was much of a problem, seeing as there have been so many teams (old Brewers, 90s Pirates, original Marlins, San Antonio Missions, West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, Giants, your Twins, Ryan-era Rangers, Mets) that pulled it off at least half decently.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I should clarify something: that aint black, it's graphite

*feeds Braden beggin strip*

and I didn't feel the home and away scripts looking different was much of a problem, seeing as there have been so many teams (old Brewers, 90s Pirates, original Marlins, San Antonio Missions, West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, Giants, your Twins, Ryan-era Rangers, Mets) that pulled it off at least half decently.

It isn't a huge problem, but it might make it look a little better.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

From looking this concept over, a lot of things hit me.

1) You have a billion logos.

Both alternate logos seem completely unnecessary here, and I think the vintage cap logo could really take over for the regular cap logo. The H in the regular cap logo looks off-balance due to the asymmetrical 'H' in the symmetrical star, and the vintage logo just looks more classy.

2) The home alternate isn't very attractive, and I think the set would be better off without it. The sleeve patch on it is enormous, and the whole jersey just doesn't look right to me.

3) The black alternate is awesome. I love how the sleeve piping sits higher up the arm to make room for the star patch, and I really like the Hollywood script. I'm torn about whether or not I like the spotlight, but I guess it's one of those things I'd have to see out of the field to know for sure. Aside from that part, though, it's great, and I think is the best part of the concept.

4) The home and road jerseys look good, especially for something so unusual as that many colours on a baseball jersey. The 'Stars' wordmark might be a tad too big, though.

5) The shorts are an intersting idea- glad you didn't decide to use them on the main jerseys, though, as I think it'd have been a bit much to expect that novelty every day. The black shorts with the film-strip socks look pretty good, but the overly-complicated gold shorts on the home alt are pretty ugly.

6) For the rewind jerseys, the black one looks pretty good, but I'm not so sure about the gold jersey. The H logo with the star makes for a good cap logo, but I don't think it's quite powerful enough to belong on the front of a jersey. I'm liking the script for 'Hollywood' on the black rewind, but the 'y' in it seems to get lost in the underline. Is there something you could do about that?

Overall, it's a nice-looking set, but I just think there are a bit too many parts to it for it to be a cohesive concept.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived