Making Text Fit A Shape

Cola

Apparently, I have never needed to do this and feel stupid that I can't figure it out...even after checking some tutorials.

I am using the Envelope Distort tool. The text and shape are in it's very own layer with the path on top of the text. I select them all and go to Envelope Distort>Make With Top Object...and below is what I get.

What is going on and how do I fix this? Any other way to get it done?

problem.jpg

I do everything the bad and clumsy way but I'd just make a line whose path is the same as the bottom part of the banner, and use the text on a path tool.

That would be fine in some cases...but if I did that, it would warp the text just fine...but the vertical areas on the text wouldn't match up well to the banner shape.

Effect -> Warp -> Arch

Again, that ends up pretty like Chestnutz's suggestion...take for example if you did that...the first vertical line on the C has a slight angle on it as does the rest of the text...when it should be a vertical line fitting the left side of the shape. Same for the right side of the text...should match up vertically to the right side of the shape.

it should do exactly as you described. try typing it and leaving it as live text before you arch it. then expand one it's the correct look.

i tried while it was live text and the options were greyed out. this is what i got when i tried it:

problem2.jpg

What you're showing there is an ARC. What you need is an ARCH.

The H makes all the difference. An ARC rotates letters over a curve. An ARCH keeps letters vertically straight and warps the top and bottom of the letters.

If you're SURE you're using an ARCH and not an ARC, then I couldn't tell you what the problem is.

What you're showing there is an ARC. What you need is an ARCH.

The H makes all the difference. An ARC rotates letters over a curve. An ARCH keeps letters vertically straight and warps the top and bottom of the letters.

If you're SURE you're using an ARCH and not an ARC, then I couldn't tell you what the problem is.

Don't I feel like an idiot now. Damn.

Slapshot, thanks for your help- you were totally right from the get-go. One letter certainly makes the difference here and I totally missed it.

Archived