Phillies Liberty Bell--on the stirups but not socks

wman

Simple question. Why put the Liberty Bell on the stirups (see Jamie Moyer, if someone has a photo that would be great) and not put it on the socks? It's no different, and to be honest I love the gimmick. It's a great, underused alternate logo by the Phils, and I wish they'd find a way to incorporate it better. Maybe even as a sleeve patch on the non-numbered sleeve.

I'll stand back and wait for the blasts (I mean responses..)

Bring back the Whale!

It's been on the stirrups since the uniforms were introduced in '92. Back then, all the players wore stirrups (albeit most wore them so high you couldn't see the bell), so they just never thought about socks. My guess is once the players started shifting from stirrups to solid socks, they just started ordering solid red socks on an ad-hoc basis, while continuing to stock the stirrups. You're right though - if it's on there on one, it should be there on all. They should put them on the socks. Or remove them from both, which would be my preference.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow - I stand corrected. I knew he wore the bell, I just thought they were very low stirrups. Obviously not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Was a story on Uniwatch today about Scott Erickson in his early days with the Twins and how he'd wear his stirrups really low and tuck them into his shoes so they'd look like solid socks. Funny - I remember when he was a stud rookie, and always thought he was strange for wearing solid socks, not realizing they were stirrups. Anyway, I wonder if that's what Thome was doing, since I've never seen any other socks with the bell, but all (or at least nearly all) the stirrups have them.

?In uniform, [scott] Erickson always pulls the stirrups of his outer socks down into his spikes, leaving no visible trace of his white sanitary socks. He looks as if he?s wearing dress socks and shoes.

Archived