Bowl Games Involving Non-D1A/FBS Teams

rock55choc

So I was delving through Phil Steele's College Football Preview a few days ago and took note of a column found on each teams page that listed each team's last 5 bowl games played. A few games really caught my eye: 1947 Harbor Bowl - San Diego State vs. Hardin-Simmons1935 Sun Bowl - New Mexico State vs. Hardin Simmons1983 California Bowl - Northern Illinois vs. Cal State Fullerton1962 Sun Bowl - Ohio vs. West Texas A&M1972 Tangerine Bowl - Kent State vs. Tampa All of these games involved one team that is not or has not been to my knowledge a NCAA D-1A/FBS team. I did not know that in the past some bowl games involved teams that fit into this category. Does anyone have some further explanation on this topic? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

LibertyBowl.png

Sweet... I thought I was the only one that got Phil Steele's mag.

Anyway, there used to be a ton of older bowl games. Also, a lot of teams that are in the lower divisions now (In your case, Hardin-Simmons is now a D-III school and both Tampa and West Texas A&M are D-II schools) were at the highest level of competition before the division format begin. Therefore, you have this.

Currently there are six Non-FBS Bowl games in play.

FCS:

-Gridiron Classic (NEC vs. Pioneer League)

Division II:

-Mineral Water Bowl, played in Excelsior Springs, Missouri (Northern Sun vs MIAA)

-Dixie Rotary Bowl, played in St. George, Utah (RMAC vs. Great Northwest)

[Of note: There will be a new bowl game in Topeka, Kansas played this season between an MIAA team and a LSC team]

Division III:

-Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl [Division III National Championship Game]

-Oyster Bowl, played in Hampton, Virginia (Regional teams)

Non-NCAA:

-Victory Bowl (NCCAA Championship Game. Can involve teams from either NCAA and NAIA)

So I was delving through Phil Steele's College Football Preview a few days ago and took note of a column found on each teams page that listed each team's last 5 bowl games played. A few games really caught my eye: 1947 Harbor Bowl - San Diego State vs. Hardin-Simmons1935 Sun Bowl - New Mexico State vs. Hardin Simmons1983 California Bowl - Northern Illinois vs. Cal State Fullerton1962 Sun Bowl - Ohio vs. West Texas A&M1972 Tangerine Bowl - Kent State vs. Tampa All of these games involved one team that is not or has not been to my knowledge a NCAA D-1A/FBS team. I did not know that in the past some bowl games involved teams that fit into this category. Does anyone have some further explanation on this topic? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cal State Fullerton was a D-1 football school and part of then the PCAA (later to be remaned Big West).

I believe Tampa had a Division I football program until the mid 1970s.

Archived