NBA Retired Numbers

rebelx

The idea of a team having its own standards is kinda funny. Like they won't waive them if they want to. Who's gonna stop them? Also funny is a thread where role-players are non-ironically submitted for jersey retirement.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And again, the fact that the last poster pointed out the obvious, that most of these players are journeymen says everything you need to know about them. Most Hall of Famers stick with their teams. It was pointed out that most players don't play with a team for 10 years, that makes that standard that much higher. If I'm retiring a jersey, the player better have been with the team long enough to be thought of as that was his team, and yes, he should be Hall of Fame material. I think the fact that someone brought up Shaq proves my point that much more, sure he's a Hall of Fame player, but exactly where do you retire his number? When you think of Shaq, what team do you think of? To me he's become a journeyman. The Lakers aren't retiring his number, and I'm not sure if he did enough with the Magic to get it retired there. I'm a Dodger fan and you won't hear me talk about retire the number of Kirk Gibson, Orel Hershiser, Mike Piazza, Eric Karros, or even my favorite Mike Scioscia. While all good players who had impacts with the team, they aren't worthy. I know some people might say that Orel is, but really when you break down his stats, he had two excellent years with the Dodgers and the rest of his career he was a .500 pitcher. Retire a .500 pitcher's number, not even close. There needs to be a high standard for getting your jersey retired, not just because you were good.

I've taken time to pare down the original poster's list. These are all based on the current body of work; sure, Derrick Rose may be the next Bull to have his number retired, but who can say this early?

Boston: Paul Pierce

New York: nobody

Philadelphia: Allen Iverson

Toronto: nobody

New Jersey: Jason Kidd

Chicago: nobody

Indiana: nobody

Cleveland: LeBron James

Milwaukee: nobody

Detroit: NOVEL LOOPHOLE: they put up a banner with the 2004 starting five's numbers, but don't retire them.

Charlotte: nobody

Washington: nobody

Miami: Dwayne Wade

Orlando: Dwight Howard

Atlanta: nobody

Dallas: Dirk Nowitzki

San Antonio: Tim Duncan

Houston: nobody

Memphis: nobody

New Orleans: nobody

Portland: nobody

Denver: nobody

OKC: Gary Payton

Utah: nobody

Minnesota: Kevin Garnett

Phoenix: Steve Nash

Clippers: nobody

Lakers: Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant

Sacramento: nobody

Golden State: nobody

I think the Boston Red Sox have the policy perfected. A player should have at least 10 years with the team and be a Hall of Fame member. Not a one of the players listed is anywhere close to that perfected criteria. Sorry, Rent-A-Shaq, you don't qualify anywhere. All I see listed are a bunch of better than average players, these are all non-descript player. A number should be in the rafters and a person who follows the sport here and there should know who it is, no one who follows basketball as a fringe fan would even know most of the players other than Shaq that I've seen listed. Let's have some standards on a number going up in the rafters, just because you like a player doesn't mean he's that good and and even deserves consideration for getting a number retired. Leave your mark on the team, and just because he is good in one area (defense or rebounding or assists) doesn't mean he's worthy of getting your number in the rafters.

You seem to have completely missed what I've said in previous replies. These are based on what these franchises have done in the past, and standards vary from team to team. A lot of players who are nowhere near hall of fame caliber will probably end up having their numbers retired based on their impact (whether on team success or popularity with fans, although usually both) on certain franchises that they played for.

Take a good look at some of the retired numbers around the league. Avery Johnson? Vinnie Johnson? Darrell Griffith? Junior Bridgeman? These are all guys who were solid players and most definitely contributors with their respective teams, but none of them have a shot in hell of making the hall of fame. In fact, none of them were ever even all-stars!

And again, why the doubt about Shaq? You're telling me that eight great seasons as the leader of the Lakers, which included three championships and another finals appearance, doesn't merit number retirement? If you're going by that 10 years rule, that's a little too stringent for my tastes. "Time requirement"-wise, I think anything over 6 seasons is fair game, and 7 usually cements it. Of course, there are always exceptions, as evidenced by Chamberlain with the Lakers or Barkley with the Suns, but those players were among the all-time greats. Which explains how Shaq could wind up with his number also retired by Orlando; he's one of the all-time greats who made a profound impact on the franchise. Or are you going to dispute that as well?

I think the Boston Red Sox have the policy perfected. A player should have at least 10 years with the team and be a Hall of Fame member. Not a one of the players listed is anywhere close to that perfected criteria. Sorry, Rent-A-Shaq, you don't qualify anywhere. All I see listed are a bunch of better than average players, these are all non-descript player. A number should be in the rafters and a person who follows the sport here and there should know who it is, no one who follows basketball as a fringe fan would even know most of the players other than Shaq that I've seen listed. Let's have some standards on a number going up in the rafters, just because you like a player doesn't mean he's that good and and even deserves consideration for getting a number retired. Leave your mark on the team, and just because he is good in one area (defense or rebounding or assists) doesn't mean he's worthy of getting your number in the rafters.

You seem to have completely missed what I've said in previous replies. These are based on what these franchises have done in the past, and standards vary from team to team. A lot of players who are nowhere near hall of fame caliber will probably end up having their numbers retired based on their impact (whether on team success or popularity with fans, although usually both) on certain franchises that they played for.

Take a good look at some of the retired numbers around the league. Avery Johnson? Vinnie Johnson? Darrell Griffith? Junior Bridgeman? These are all guys who were solid players and most definitely contributors with their respective teams, but none of them have a shot in hell of making the hall of fame. In fact, none of them were ever even all-stars!

And again, why the doubt about Shaq? You're telling me that eight great seasons as the leader of the Lakers, which included three championships and another finals appearance, doesn't merit number retirement? If you're going by that 10 years rule, that's a little too stringent for my tastes. "Time requirement"-wise, I think anything over 6 seasons is fair game, and 7 usually cements it. Of course, there are always exceptions, as evidenced by Chamberlain with the Lakers or Barkley with the Suns, but those players were among the all-time greats. Which explains how Shaq could wind up with his number also retired by Orlando; he's one of the all-time greats who made a profound impact on the franchise. Or are you going to dispute that as well?

I agree. The days of players playing anywhere near 10+ season with a team are pretty much gone, and that goes for all of the major sports. The NBA is known for teams retiring player numbers based not so much as there impact to the NBA, but more so for their impact to those teams during either, a great run with that franchise, or overall contributions on and off the court(fan favorites/over-achievers).

I believe as well that Shaq is definetely well qualified to have his number retired with the Lakers(and in time w/ the Magic), for his key role and contributuons to the team(s).

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

I've taken time to pare down the original poster's list. These are all based on the current body of work; sure, Derrick Rose may be the next Bull to have his number retired, but who can say this early?

Detroit: NOVEL LOOPHOLE: they put up a banner with the 2004 starting five's numbers, but don't retire them.

Not a bad list, but too restrictive, in my opinion. Realistically, the number of actual retirements will probably lie somewhere between your list and mine.

I do like your idea of Detroit having a banner for the 04 and 05 finals starting five.

BTW, how come you didn't list Mullin for the Warriors? He, without question, deserves the honor, and the fact that he doesn't have that yet is perhaps one of the biggest omissions by a team in any of the four major sports.

Chris Mullin spent the last four years running the Warriors. He couldn't have retired his own number without looking like more of a doofus than his flat-top already makes him look. I suppose they could retire it now, though.

The banner idea is a good one for that 2004 Pistons Championship team. The Orlando Magic did a similar thing by paying respect to the 94-95 Magic team that made it to the Finals(eventually getting sweeped by the Rockets), they chose to honor the whole team(by listing the roster around the banner) that at the time posted the best record in their short history.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

Archived