NBA Retired Numbers

rebelx

As an avid Jazz fan, I can see how Kirilenko would be a maybe, but i'm not too sure. I'll be honest and say that i can't see a #47 hanging from the rafters at the ESA, not until he plays to the level we're paying him at least.

I'd personally much rather see players like Antoine Carr or Chris Morris get thier numbers retired, because they were key parts in our back-to-back Western Conference championships in 1997 and 1998. Adam Keefe would be a LONG shot, but understandable if it happened, at least to me.

As for Jazz men today, i'd absolutely love to see Matt Harpring get his retired. He may not have been a superstar or anything for us but in my opinion he's been our most consistent player for a long time now and everyone here in Utah loves him.

I personally don't think AK should really be up there as of now either. When you consider some of the names that are up there(Stockton, Malone, Maravich, Eaton) and how long it took them to retire Dantley's number, I don't think Kirilenko has done nearly enough. Although they did retire Hornacek's number after only 6 years with the team and a pretty modest career number wise.

Right now the only other number I can see the Nuggets retiring is Dikembe Mutombo's(despite just 5 seasons). Mr. Triple Double Fat Lever would also be a personal choice of mine, but that's never going to happen. Carmelo is well on his way, and another 3-4 good years would pretty much seal it(if it isn't already).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an avid Jazz fan, I can see how Kirilenko would be a maybe, but i'm not too sure. I'll be honest and say that i can't see a #47 hanging from the rafters at the ESA, not until he plays to the level we're paying him at least.

I'd personally much rather see players like Antoine Carr or Chris Morris get thier numbers retired, because they were key parts in our back-to-back Western Conference championships in 1997 and 1998. Adam Keefe would be a LONG shot, but understandable if it happened, at least to me.

As for Jazz men today, i'd absolutely love to see Matt Harpring get his retired. He may not have been a superstar or anything for us but in my opinion he's been our most consistent player for a long time now and everyone here in Utah loves him.

I'm going to go on the record and say AK47 will never be in the Jazz rafters....it's just not going to happen! I'd also be really surprised if they ever retired Harpring's number too. Sure he's a fan favorite but he hasn't ever quite gotten to that level. Memo and D-Will are the only possibilities on the current squad.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I'm going to go on the record and say AK47 will never be in the Jazz rafters....it's just not going to happen! I'd also be really surprised if they ever retired Harpring's number too. Sure he's a fan favorite but he hasn't ever quite gotten to that level. Memo and D-Will are the only possibilities on the current squad.

I can somewhat agree with Memo and D-Will but I think they need more time. If either of them were to leave right now, I'd say they wouldnt get them retired.

As for Harpring, I was only indicating that as a fan I'd love to see it happen. Will it? I don't know for sure. But would I love to see it happen? Absolutely. I'm assuming youre a fan as well, so you and me both know the Jazz style is all about hustle and playing your best game every night, and Harpring has done that as long as he's been here. When you think of the Jazz, he epitomizes all the Jazz are about and he's honest to goodness the first player I think of when I think of my Jazz.

So im not necessarily dissagreeing with you, i'm just saying that in my own personal opinion, I wouldnt be the least bit suprised if it happened.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Of the original post, I think only 15-20 of the players mentioned will get their numbers retired.

When you look at a team now, say the Pistons. Sure they have a lot of players that are good, but if you look at the team's history as a whole, do they really fit in as great players? IMO Tayshaun Prince at this rate will not have his number retired. I don't even think Ben or Raseed Wallace will have their's retired either.

I think there only a handful of players who, if they retired right now, would have their numbers retired by a team: Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett (by Minnesota), Allen Iverson (by Philadelphia), Steve Nash, and Dirk Nowitzki. Of course, if LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Howard, and Chris Paul could certainly be on their way, as well as, say a Vince carter, or Tony Parker could as well.

The only numbers that the Orlando Magic will retire eventually are:

nba_g_shaq11_576.jpg

Shaq #32 and Nick Anderson #25(he's the Magic's All-Time leader in various stats and well loved by the Magic fan base)

As well as Dwight Howard #12 in the future.

Can i take a quick second to mention that I REALLY love that shade of blue???

Orlando Magic, please revert to that shade.

Agreed

Shaq was in Orlando for just about as long as he was in Miami (although played less games in that time period due to injuries), and I don't see either team hanging his number up in the rafters. He'll probably just get the Lakers.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I can somewhat agree with Memo and D-Will but I think they need more time. If either of them were to leave right now, I'd say they wouldnt get them retired.

Well of course, in due time they "could" have their numbers retired. I was just saying that on the current squad, those are the only two I could see having their numbers retired when it's all said and done.

As for Harpring, I was only indicating that as a fan I'd love to see it happen. Will it? I don't know for sure. But would I love to see it happen? Absolutely. I'm assuming youre a fan as well, so you and me both know the Jazz style is all about hustle and playing your best game every night, and Harpring has done that as long as he's been here. When you think of the Jazz, he epitomizes all the Jazz are about and he's honest to goodness the first player I think of when I think of my Jazz.

It's true, Harpring is all about hustle and the Jerry Sloan type of basketball but even with that said, I don't think he's quite reached that level of elite as a Jazzman. I mean consider this, why retire Harpring's jersey when Thurl Bailey's isn't up there? thdontknow.gif

Well of course, in due time they "could" have their numbers retired. I was just saying that on the current squad, those are the only two I could see having their numbers retired when it's all said and done.

It's true, Harpring is all about hustle and the Jerry Sloan type of basketball but even with that said, I don't think he's quite reached that level of elite as a Jazzman. I mean consider this, why retire Harpring's jersey when Thurl Bailey's isn't up there? thdontknow.gif

That raises a good point. Thurl deserves it too. Thanks for reminding me about him. Perhaps they could retire his and Harpring's on the same night :) haha

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

That raises a good point. Thurl deserves it too. Thanks for reminding me about him. Perhaps they could retire his and Harpring's on the same night :) haha

Ha ha, good call buddy but I've never heard any talk of Thurl's #41 going up there. :cry:

What about Robert Horry? He has been a solid contributor for the various teams he has played on: Rockets, Suns(1 season), Lakers, and Spurs.

I believe he would have a strong case of having his number retired in either Houston or L.A.(harder choice seeing the numbers hanging in their rafters).

His most productive years came with the Rockets(2 titles), although he got his nickname of "Big Shot Rob" for his clutch performance in his Championship runs with the Lakers and Spurs.

He's won NBA Championships with three different teams(7 total: 2-Rockets, 3-Lakers, 2-Spurs).

I definetely believe his number should be hanging up retired in atleast one if not two NBA arenas. What do you think?

10horry.1.600.jpg

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

Ha ha, good call buddy but I've never heard any talk of Thurl's #41 going up there. :cry:

Perhaps a petition is in order? Haha :D

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

What about Robert Horry? He has been a solid contributor for the various teams he has played on: Rockets, Suns(1 season), Lakers, and Spurs.

I believe he would have a strong case of having his number retired in either Houston or L.A.(harder choice seeing the numbers hanging in their rafters).

His most productive years came with the Rockets(2 titles), although he got his nickname of "Big Shot Rob" for his clutch performance in his Championship runs with the Lakers and Spurs.

He's won NBA Championships with three different teams(7 total: 2-Rockets, 3-Lakers, 2-Spurs).

I definetely believe his number should be hanging up retired in atleast one if not two NBA arenas. What do you think?

10horry.1.600.jpg

What I think is that Rob Horry is not going to have his number retired anywhere (one could make a case for him in his L.A. years, but it won't happen given their pattern of number retirements). Is he deserving of it? Not necessarily. Good player, good teammate, and a very likeable, hard-working fellow, but frankly, the guy's been somewhat overrated by various media outlets (ordinary career numbers), partly because of those big shots and partly due to a knack for being on the right team at the right time (it'll be a cold day in hell before somebody wins 7 championships again). And this is coming from a Laker fan.

10horry.1.600.jpg

What I think is that Rob Horry is not going to have his number retired anywhere (one could make a case for him in his L.A. years, but it won't happen given their pattern of number retirements). Is he deserving of it? Not necessarily. Good player, good teammate, and a very likeable, hard-working fellow, but frankly, the guy's been somewhat overrated by various media outlets (ordinary career numbers), partly because of those big shots and partly due to a knack for being on the right team at the right time (it'll be a cold day in hell before somebody wins 7 championships again). And this is coming from a Laker fan.

Although I do agree with you on most points, there are numerous players who have their numbers retired that didn't have amazing stats but were great teammates and solid-know-their role players. Ex: Brad Davis #15(Mavericks), Sam Lacey #44(Kings), and Vinnie Johnson #15(Pistons).You don't have to have the best stats. Alot of players who have their numbers retired meant more to their teams then just scoring(like those who died while playing for their teams- R. Lewis, Sealy, Petrovic, Ladner& Phills).

10horry.1.600.jpg

Although I do agree with you on most points, there are numerous players who have their numbers retired that didn't have amazing stats but were great teammates and solid-know-their role players. Ex: Brad Davis #15(Mavericks), Sam Lacey #44(Kings), and Vinnie Johnson #15(Pistons).You don't have to have the best stats. Alot of players who have their numbers retired meant more to their teams then just scoring(like those who died while playing for their teams- R. Lewis, Sealy, Petrovic, Ladner& Phills).

You are correct, a lot of organizations do retire numbers on this basis, which is why I put some "ordinary" players as potential number retirees in my original list. But all teams have different standards for this, and the Lakers have a very high one. The seven players whose numbers are currently retired are all hall of famers, and were all considered locks for the hall at the time their numbers were raised to the rafters. There are several other players from the franchise's history that may be deserving of this honor as well, but the organization honors only the GREATS. They're smart to do this, too, otherwise they'd end up with 21 unusable numbers like Boston :P.

Also, IMO, Horry didn't play with Houston for long enough to deserve this honor from the Rockets. If he'd spent a longer portion of his career with them, then maybe.

If Robert Horry should ever get his number retired from the Lakers (and knowing their policy, they won't)...then Michael Cooper should have his #21 retired as well. Coop was one of three players (Magic and Kareem are the others) to play on all five of the Showtime title teams. While Horry was really good in what he did, Cooper was a better all-around player.

Yeah I don't see Horry getting his number retired by the Lakers either, seeing that all of their retired numbers are from notable Hall of Famer's. I do think he has a slim chance by the Rockets, he was a key part in their 94' & 95' NBA Championship teams alongside of Olajuwan, Drexler(95'), Cassell, Thorpe, Maxwell, and K. Smith.

I do agree with the fact that if Josh Smith and Joe Johnson stay around and actually lead the Hawks to greatness, they're gonna get their #'s retired. They don't really have that big of a ceiling. Dominique was great, but they never went deep into the playofffs. Hell, Smoove & Joe have already gotten as deep into the playoffs that Dominique ever got, which is amazing. I guess now they need a HoF career to cement themselves a spot in the Philips Arena rafters. :P

I do agree with dfwabel, though. You listed a lot of players who are good, but not great and would have a LONNNNGGGGG way to go before that's even considered.

I think the Boston Red Sox have the policy perfected. A player should have at least 10 years with the team and be a Hall of Fame member. Not a one of the players listed is anywhere close to that perfected criteria. Sorry, Rent-A-Shaq, you don't qualify anywhere. All I see listed are a bunch of better than average players, these are all non-descript player. A number should be in the rafters and a person who follows the sport here and there should know who it is, no one who follows basketball as a fringe fan would even know most of the players other than Shaq that I've seen listed. Let's have some standards on a number going up in the rafters, just because you like a player doesn't mean he's that good and and even deserves consideration for getting a number retired. Leave your mark on the team, and just because he is good in one area (defense or rebounding or assists) doesn't mean he's worthy of getting your number in the rafters.

I think the Boston Red Sox have the policy perfected. A player should have at least 10 years with the team and be a Hall of Fame member. Not a one of the players listed is anywhere close to that perfected criteria. Sorry, Rent-A-Shaq, you don't qualify anywhere. All I see listed are a bunch of better than average players, these are all non-descript player. A number should be in the rafters and a person who follows the sport here and there should know who it is, no one who follows basketball as a fringe fan would even know most of the players other than Shaq that I've seen listed. Let's have some standards on a number going up in the rafters, just because you like a player doesn't mean he's that good and and even deserves consideration for getting a number retired. Leave your mark on the team, and just because he is good in one area (defense or rebounding or assists) doesn't mean he's worthy of getting your number in the rafters.

While the ten years period is a good idea, I hate the 'must be a hall of famer' aspect. It's like the team can't make it's own decision, while saying, "we'll honor you only if everyone else does."

While the ten years period is a good idea, I hate the 'must be a hall of famer' aspect. It's like the team can't make it's own decision, while saying, "we'll honor you only if everyone else does."

Not only that but being with a team for 10 years or more in today's world of sports doesn't happen as much as it used to.

Archived