Adult Hockey League logo

Eagle Eye Customs

I was asked by the director of my rec. hockey league if I could come up with a logo for the league. The league is switching to being run by the players, instead of by the rink, which was mismanaging the league. In spirit with the new direction, the director wanted a logo for various uses, from league forms and documents to jersey patches. Extra money was not available to hire a dedicated logo designer, so the director asked me if I could design something, knowing that I designed a few jerseys for the league and was capable of making vectorized logos. I offered to take a crack at it, and if he liked one of my concepts, the league was welcome to it. Anyhow, I drafted several concepts, and he has selected the following as his favorite:

dmaahl.jpg

I'm moderatly pleased with this logo, but I know it could be better. But I tend to fall into the same ruts when I lay this stuff out. I'm far from a professional. So I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight here. Is it good? Does it suck? What could I change? What must be changed? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

While this may be a good start, there are many areas it could be improved. The shape of the shield should be refined and the skyline probably shouldn't be so literal. Some of the buildings in the foreground should be absorbed into the background by losing the thin stroke seperating them. I would move the Des Moines Area Adult Hockey League copy to the outside of the shield and make the player image and intials more prominent. I sure that is just for the presentation here but I would certainly use colors other than black and white.

I like it. Besides logoman's comments I would just add that a 6 letter acronym seems too long. It may just be a personal preference of mine, or maybe you are required to include all those words but something about it just seems kind of funky.

While this may be a good start, there are many areas it could be improved. The shape of the shield should be refined and the skyline probably shouldn't be so literal. Some of the buildings in the foreground should be absorbed into the background by losing the thin stroke seperating them. I would move the Des Moines Area Adult Hockey League copy to the outside of the shield and make the player image and intials more prominent. I sure that is just for the presentation here but I would certainly use colors other than black and white.

Thanks for the comments. I'll try to incorporate some of those suggestions, they all sound pretty good and more than do-able. Color will be incorporated, likely red, blue, and silver/white but I figured if I couldn't get it to look good in B/W, I had no chance in color.

I like it. Besides logoman's comments I would just add that a 6 letter acronym seems too long. It may just be a personal preference of mine, or maybe you are required to include all those words but something about it just seems kind of funky.

I totally agree about the 6 letters but that is something I have to work with. A shorter name would have been much more enjoyable to work with.

How about fonts? Anyone have any suggestions on something that might work well with this? I'm not overly thrilled with either choice really, but the DMAAHL text is the worse of the two. Any ideas would be well appreciated. Thanks again for the comments guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a completely different idea instead of the shield. I used an image of Iowa and put the name and the same hockey player image on it. I did three ideas for colors with it, one red and blue as you wanted, and two green and yellow, which I think suits the area better. The only difference in the two green and yellow is the color of the player silhouette.

dmaahlrb.png

dmaahlgy.png

dmaahlgy2.png

believew.jpg

Archived