Promotion and Relegation in college football?

jrh31584

That said, a playoff system (likely 8-team, maybe 12-team) seems far more effective, especially when you can put it into the big gap between the end of the regular season and the Bowl week. I know, final exams have something to do with that big gap, but plenty of schools reschedule exams for their student-athletes.

With a playoff system, a team with a soft schedule will have to play with the big boys, and certain games could be the [insert Company Here] [insert Name Here] Bowl, with the National Championship being the [Whatever Bowl] for the given year. You could also have brackets for the rest of the Top 25, or do it by invitation. I don't know, but I'd personally prefer a playoff system to promotion/relegation system.

In the original post, I mentioned that there would be an 8-team playoff for Tier 1 (4 conference champs, 4 at-large). I just felt that it was more fair to pick eight teams out of 40 teams in 4 conferences rather than 8 of 120 teams in 11 conferences plus independents.

I forgot to add one, slightly larger point to the whole "tv issue". The smaller schools lack the national or regional following of the schools in the BCS 6. If you start promoting in teams with less of a following, which translates to lesser ratings, on a regular basis, TV deals in general are going to pay out less.

I bet University Presidents and ADs would be just thrilled at the thought of that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That said, a playoff system (likely 8-team, maybe 12-team) seems far more effective, especially when you can put it into the big gap between the end of the regular season and the Bowl week. I know, final exams have something to do with that big gap, but plenty of schools reschedule exams for their student-athletes.

With a playoff system, a team with a soft schedule will have to play with the big boys, and certain games could be the [insert Company Here] [insert Name Here] Bowl, with the National Championship being the [Whatever Bowl] for the given year. You could also have brackets for the rest of the Top 25, or do it by invitation. I don't know, but I'd personally prefer a playoff system to promotion/relegation system.

In the original post, I mentioned that there would be an 8-team playoff for Tier 1 (4 conference champs, 4 at-large). I just felt that it was more fair to pick eight teams out of 40 teams in 4 conferences rather than 8 of 120 teams in 11 conferences plus independents.

How would it be different? You're still technically picking 8 of the top 40 teams...

6fQjS3M.png

Archived