Pacquiao vs. Cotto

Breakwood

The biggest fight of 2009, will take place tonight in Las Vegas.

Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto

Who wins?

Pacquiao is obviously the big favourite, but if anyone can beat him I beleive it's Cotto. Miguel has only 1 loss as a professional, and that came in controversial circumstances since Margarito was found using illegal hand wraps in a later fight. Illegal hand wraps could very well be an answer to how Cotto's face was mangled so badly in that fight.

Any thoughts?

1zqy8ok.gif

The biggest fight of 2009, will take place tonight in Las Vegas.

Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto

Who wins?

Pacquiao is obviously the big favourite, but if anyone can beat him I beleive it's Cotto. Miguel has only 1 loss as a professional, and that came in controversial circumstances since Margarito was found using illegal hand wraps in a later fight. Illegal hand wraps could very well be an answer to how Cotto's face was mangled so badly in that fight.

Any thoughts?

I like Cotto as well tonight, but also remember in his last fight against Josh Clotty, Cotto was cut badly over his left eye in Round 3.

Still not gonna doubt Pacquiao too much. The last time I doubted Pacman, he smashed Ricky Hatton's face in. So I'm definitely picking Pacquiao to win, but I still think that Cotto has more than a good shot of coming out of this fight with a W. No matter what the result is, I definitely think that this is going to live up toits billing as a great fight. Hell, even if it's a quick knockout (which I hope it won't be), it'll still be a beautiful execution of boxing skill. Hopefully it lasts for a good while.

Still not gonna doubt Pacquiao too much. The last time I doubted Pacman, he smashed Ricky Hatton's face in. So I'm definitely picking Pacquiao to win, but I still think that Cotto has more than a good shot of coming out of this fight with a W. No matter what the result is, I definitely think that this is going to live up toits billing as a great fight. Hell, even if it's a quick knockout (which I hope it won't be), it'll still be a beautiful execution of boxing skill. Hopefully it lasts for a good while.

The undercard is decent too (much better than what Don King gives us), but possible not to the level of the Money/Marquez or Manny/Hatton.

Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.-Troy Rowland, middleweight (JCC, Jr. has not really fought top guys, but he will attract the Mexican audience)

Daniel Santos-Yuri Foreman, For WBA 154 lb belt.

Jesus Soto Karass-Alfonso Gomez, welterweight. (Will we see the Gomez who retired Gatti or the one who was outclassed by Cotto?)

Plus next week is an interesting fight, Andre Ward v. Mikel Kessler as part of the Super Six.

Well, it's reached the 11th round but the fight has been ridiculously one-sided. Pacman has been annihilating Cotto since the 4th round. Unless Cotto somehow slips in a miracle punch NVM, Cotto is just trying to go the distance at this point. This fight's over and has been over for a few rounds. Pacquiao's going to win another title, and now people are looking toward Mayweather-Pacquiao. This fight had better happen.

EDIT: Pacquiao wins in the 12th, ref was tired of Pacman chasing Cotto. That's how bad it got.

Well, it's reached the 11th round but the fight has been ridiculously one-sided. Pacman has been annihilating Cotto since the 4th round. Unless Cotto somehow slips in a miracle punch NVM, Cotto is just trying to go the distance at this point. This fight's over and has been over for a few rounds. Pacquiao's going to win another title, and now people are looking toward Mayweather-Pacquiao. This fight had better happen.

EDIT: Pacquiao wins in the 12th, ref was tired of Pacman chasing Cotto. That's how bad it got.

So Manny v. Floyd is the next fight. The rumor is that is will be in Arlington, but Floyd wants 65% of the gate and ppv.

Manny Pacquiao's historic 12th-round TKO of Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas on Saturday night did big business. Cotto, who is from Puerto Rico, helped drive the fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena to an all-time record for buys on the island with 110,000 units sold.

The Top Rank-promoted fight generated 1.25 million buys and $70 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue, HBO announced Friday. If historical trends hold, the numbers will increase when all of the buys are officially audited.

NYT on the Revenue

Archived