St. Louis Cardinals Concept

worcat

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, I've been away for along time and I've been wanting to post more often. Here's a concept I have had in my mind for awhile. I'm not sure if it's been posted yet so I apologize if it has. If not, I'm very surprised.

I'm from St. Louis and I wanted to see what other options I could come up with for the Cardinals. I absolutely love the simplicity of their uniforms and really didn't want to change them. However, I really wanted to see how inserting "St. Louis" in the script for the Road uniform would work. Many sports franchises go this route by placing the City name on the away jersey and the team name on the home jersey. To the best of my knowledge, the Cardinals have never done this so I figured I'd give it a shot.

1-1.png

I also threw together some ideas for third/alternate jerseys. I know the Cardinals have worn the powder blue jerseys in the 80's-90's and are many fan favorites as well as the Red jerseys for batting practice. Why not use them in rotation? Maybe Sunday games? Please let me know which you prefer.

2-1.png

3-1.png

4-1.png

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to check these out and any C&C would be greatly appreciated. It's not much of a concept really, just a general idea.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

My only complaints are

1) The team/city name seems a but low

2) I think there should be some stripe on the arm

other than that i love the idea of st louis on the roads

I tried to position the logos according on an actual jersey image. Based on the image below the logo should rest between the top two buttons and the bottom four.

I also considered the stripes on the arms. This is where I really didn't want to change too much of the design. One of the main reasons I love the cardinals uniform is the simplicity. Yes, I could have added vertical stripes to the sides but then it would look almost exactly like the current batting practice jerseys. The only reason I added horizontal stripes to the powder blue is because they used a similar pattern during that era.

No arching on the nameplates? No MLB Logo anywhere? Nothing on any sleeves, including piping?

Come on...if you're presenting a concept, make it complete.

I appreciate your comments and criticism. However, I don't think that any of the mentioned above would have made this a stronger concept. Sure it may have been more finished but in all reality, I don't think a mlb logo makes or breaks a concept.

In most cases, piping is used very little on uniforms. You may have one, two, three at the most of lines. See the powder blue design for example. The Cardinals feature no piping on either the home or road jersey; unless you are comparing the batting practice jersey or any of their throwback uniforms.

I could have added a patch on the sleeve to take up place and add clutter. Which patch would you like? All-Star Game? Past. World Series? Past. Inaugural season at Busch? etc... Interlocking STL would have just been too much. I really tried to keep it simple and expand the idea of a new front design. I wasn't looking for a complete overhaul of the design.

Sure I could have arched the nameplate, but would that really make a difference? The slight arch is easily missed to the naked eye. It's not like the extreme arch of the Red Wings in the NHL.

Besides it is only a first stage concept. Any finished product would include all of these things or atleast be considered. Why spend time on something if it shouldn't even get off the ground?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

No arching on the nameplates? No MLB Logo anywhere? Nothing on any sleeves, including piping?

I appreciate your comments and criticism. However, I don't think that any of the mentioned above would have made this a stronger concept. Sure it may have been more finished but in all reality, I don't think a mlb logo makes or breaks a concept.

In most cases, piping is used very little on uniforms. You may have one, two, three at the most of lines. See the powder blue design for example. The Cardinals feature no piping on either the home or road jersey; unless you are comparing the batting practice jersey or any of their throwback uniforms.

I could have added a patch on the sleeve to take up place and add clutter. Which patch would you like? All-Star Game? Past. World Series? Past. Inaugural season at Busch? etc... Interlocking STL would have just been too much. I really tried to keep it simple and expand the idea of a new front design. I wasn't looking for a complete overhaul of the design.

Sure I could have arched the nameplate, but would that really make a difference? The slight arch is easily missed to the naked eye. It's not like the extreme arch of the Red Wings in the NHL.

Besides it is only a first stage concept. Any finished product would include all of these things or atleast be considered. Why spend time on something if it shouldn't even get off the ground?

I mention these things because the little details make a concept pop. Without them, it looks ordinary.

I really like that powder blue St. Louis alternate, but as was said earlier, the wordmark needs to be raised up higher on the jersey. Also, I'd layer the wordmark over the template's frame so it doesn't have random lines going through it. If you decide to do an update, definitely include pants and a hat and work on getting the nameplate and number closer to what the Cardinals use now.

While I agree with you about the nameplate, I think that the MLB logo is, in the grand scheme of things, splitting hairs and the comment about things on the sleeves and piping is completely ridiculous. Every jersey doesn't need to have piping or a patch. In fact, oftentimes, extraneous "additions" to a jersey can make it look far too busy and hurt its look. Besides, many teams--the Yankees, the Cardinals, and, until recently, the Angels, Blue Jays, and Dodgers--have fantastic uniforms without patches or piping.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

What I'm saying about the piping though... It doesn't appear that he left it off for stylistic purposes. If that was the case, I wouldn't see a problem with it. It appears to me that he left it off out of sheer lack of detail. It doesn't look like much time at all went into any of these, since they're basically the same exact jerseys on four different colored backgrounds.

What I'm saying about the piping though... It doesn't appear that he left it off for stylistic purposes. If that was the case, I wouldn't see a problem with it. It appears to me that he left it off out of sheer lack of detail. It doesn't look like much time at all went into any of these, since they're basically the same exact jerseys on four different colored backgrounds.

Well, that certainly is a valid point. Really, my beef is more with the principle of what you said. And now that I think about it, his home jersey is essentially identical to the Cards' current one (minus the arched nameplate).

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Well, that certainly is a valid point. Really, my beef is more with the principle of what you said. And now that I think about it, his home jersey is essentially identical to the Cards' current one (minus the arched nameplate).

Yeah I completely understand where you're coming from. Don't misinterpret what I said -- I'm all for artistic integrity. If that's how he intends the concept to look, then more power to him. I'm approaching it from the standpoint of him failing to put a complete effort into his concept and being lazy about its full completion.

While taking all of your C&C to heart and I really appreciating it, it appears to me that all of you are missing a very large detail. I wanted to make the home jersey or any of the "Cardinal" logo jerseys to be as close to the current ones as possible. The main focus of this concept was to see the "St. Louis" logo jerseys and the only reason I applied the Home jerseys was to give this concept a more complete feel. I would have been flamed to death for just posting a road jersey and a few alternates. Saying that I didn't put much time into them couldn't be farther from the truth at all.

With the comment about raising the logo above the templates outlines, the reasoning behind this was that I wanted to give it that realistic look with the logo under the stitching.

By adding a poll, I was waiting to see which alternate would be most selected so that when it is time for version 2, I would be able to concentrate on three jerseys rather than six. In version 2, I would obviously add an MLB logo, hats, pants, etc.

Final concepts aren't presented 100% over night. I haven't posted an idea here in many many months and it takes steps to build constructive ideas and make a worthy finished product.

Aside from the apparent "laziness" of the simplicity of this uniform, were there any areas that you may be able to help me upgrade with the overall design of the jersey? Have you have thought that maybe the cards should bring back the 80's stripes on the arms to a modern day button up jersey? Or add mesh on the sides of the rib area? Bring back the cardinal/baseball logo as an arm patch?

Again, it's a work in progress. If I knew all the answers I wouldn't have posted at all, that's why I came here for advice.

Thanks alot for all your comments.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

It's not a matter of slight v. extreme, but rather two arching styles, both of which grow more obvious as the names get longer, and even at its most inconspicuous it's clearly not straight across. Baseball teams of today use radial arching, where the letters fall along a circular path without being distorted. Hockey teams (and many baseball teams in the past, notably the Braves) use what's called vertical arching, where each letter remains vertical, but is distorted incrementally as you move inward. They both have their pros and cons: radial arching is easy to do because you're just sewing letters on, while vertical arching requires more work in individually modifying each character on the way to making a really cool effect.

No teams in the majors are using straight-ahead horizontal lettering these days, though the Oakland A's did so during their dynasty years, and there might've been a second team that did as well but it's not coming to me if there was. The Washington Nationals could've and should've gone with condensed athletic block (think Chicago Bears) on a straight line for their names, which would've fit the strong and angular lettering of their scripts better than boilerplate radial-arched baseball block. The Cardinals, being very much a traditional team, ought to stick with good old radial.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i'm not sure if Detroit does it or not but i thought they used a horizontal lettering system during the pre-season and only arched the name plates of the players who made the final roster.

not to change topic or anything, just curious if it was a straight line or if it was in fact a radial style.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

They use horizontally aligned varsity serif (or something close) in the preseason and switch to vertical (not radial) arching for the regular season. It's a little thing of theirs. The Rags might do it too?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I always thought the 2 cardinals on the bat were one of the best uniforms in baseball, along with the Yankees. i would love to see a a St. Louis script away jersey. I think it would look really nice.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived