LCD Technology and Colors

BBTV

Anyone of you who do logo design or photo editing (where accurate color reproduction is key) know if there is really a big difference between LCD panels that are ips vs. panels that are TN? I'm thinking about jumping on a 24" screen with great specs that is discounted to $200, but it is TN. The cheapest 24" ips I can find is $500. I don't currently do photo editing or logo design, but I always like to prepare for what I could possibly get in to, and don't want to have to upgrade my display in a year if I start doing other things.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

IPS has more to do with viewing angles than color reproduction, IIRC. An IPS display lets you view the content from some extreme angles and things still look sharp, no contrast reduction or anything like that.

a lot of articles I read stated that a designer would never use anything other than an IPS display. I'm not sure why viewing angles are that much of a big deal to a designer, I will keep reading though. Like I said, IPS is a lot more expensive, so if it's just viewing angles then it's not worth it to me, since I surf straight ahead.

The other thing besides the type of panel is the difference between glossy and matte. The colors on the glossy look more... "vivid", but it shows all kinds of dirt and glare. But all things being equal (same specs), the contrast just seems better on glossy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

OK, so I picked up a monitor today for a 14-day try out.

What's the best way to calibrate this thing so I know I'm looking at true colors? I tried Quick Gamma, but no matter how much I adjusted brightness and RGB, I could never match up what they want you to match, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I have no problem paying for a good program to do it, but obviously a good free one is preferred. I'm looking for "good", but I'm not a professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived