Pittsburgh Penguins: Old & New

rbripley

Longtime lurker, occasional commenter, and always an admirer of so many designers on here.

This is my first approach at starting to develop a concept (though it's not that far along yet, just some ideas). I freely admit I am not a designer (and am painfully aware of my limitations), only a beginner logo hobbyist trying who's trying figure out:

1. What the elements of a successful concept are and how they work together; and

2. How to get ideas from my brain onto the page with a limited skill set that's limited even more by the software I have!

I was inspired by someone else's proposal to create a third jersey for the Pittsburgh Penguins that mixed elements and colors of previous identities. Over the years, I've liked nearly all of the Pens' uniforms, but didn't want to necessarily just recolor old elements, rather try to incorporate just a few select historical ideas into a slightly different look, but one that still reads as Penguins.

The first link is a version with a slightly more traditional approach, with links 2 & 3 trying to think about things a little differently. All three try to use black, blue, and gold.

Any helpful thoughts are welcomed.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

Those colors remind me of the Washington Capitals of the 90's. I would say lighten the blue a bit for starters.

Thanks, Bmac. I went back and forth with a lighter blue option and a bit more vibrant gold as well. Seems that both of those colors tend to incite lots of opinions (no matter the sport!). But I'll take another pass later this week and see how it works.

My #1 piece of advice to give is to use the templates located in the template threads that are pinned at the top of this forum. The one you are using is somewhat off-sized, and I think it distorts what you're trying to show us.

Also, for the 2nd and 3rd links you provided, remember that the chest logos need to be up higher, and not on the stomach area of the shirt.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

My #1 piece of advice to give is to use the templates located in the template threads that are pinned at the top of this forum. The one you are using is somewhat off-sized, and I think it distorts what you're trying to show us.

Also, for the 2nd and 3rd links you provided, remember that the chest logos need to be up higher, and not on the stomach area of the shirt.

Thanks, aci. I did use one of the paint templates - though because of my skills, it clearly doesn't appear that way! I'll keep working...

Thanks for the chest logo comment - it's always such a difference DOING instead of just LOOKING. I'll add that to my checklist.

Thanks, aci. I did use one of the paint templates - though because of my skills, it clearly doesn't appear that way! I'll keep working...

Thanks for the chest logo comment - it's always such a difference DOING instead of just LOOKING. I'll add that to my checklist.

Oh really? Sorry man. It just looks a bit small (which will mean lack of detail to viewers), and the lack of a back on the neck-hole makes the whole collar area look kinda weird. I dunno if the template came like that or if you accidentally erased it, but adding it in couldn't hurt.

p.s. if you're using Paint, try the RBK templates. You can edit them as needed, or just use the outline + collar, but they tend to help quite a bit.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Oh really? Sorry man. It just looks a bit small (which will mean lack of detail to viewers), and the lack of a back on the neck-hole makes the whole collar area look kinda weird. I dunno if the template came like that or if you accidentally erased it, but adding it in couldn't hurt.

p.s. if you're using Paint, try the RBK templates. You can edit them as needed, or just use the outline + collar, but they tend to help quite a bit.

No worries and thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.

Archived