NBA Basketball in St. Louis

rebelx

Let KC get a team. They got a brand spanking new arena and not much else to cheer for. The Chiefs are good sometimes but major letdowns. And the only other game in town, besides MLS, is minor league baseball. But I think a lot are satisfied with the sports scene in St. Louis as it is now.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it-thumbnail.jpg?w=500&h=447

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Let KC get a team. They got a brand spanking new arena and not much else to cheer for. The Chiefs are good sometimes but major letdowns. And the only other game in town, besides MLS, is minor league baseball. But I think a lot are satisfied with the sports scene in St. Louis as it is now.

A building is nice, but with no owner....

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Spirits of St. Louis is one of the best team names ever.

This. But that might be about the only reason to have an NBA franchise in the city, and a funky name isn't enough!!

But the ABA had some pretty good names across the board. That league knew how to sell itself!

The Dallas Chaparrals, Virginia Squires, and Kentucky Colonels for the win Peter.

Anyway, on topic; There are quite a few cities I see as more viable options for an NBA franchise than St. Louis would be. I'd love to see the NBA come to Columbus but I'm sure Cleveland (and maybe Indiana and Detroit) would have a real problem with that.

I still think the San Antonio Spurs are better. But the Colonels and Squires did have awesome uniforms, more specifically the Colonels when they went to a more "normal" color scheme. Interestingly enough I haven't seen too many color shots of the Spirits in their uniforms.

"Dallas Chaparrals" would've been an awesome name for what we know as the Texas Rangers. The Swingin' Chaps! I love it.

Columbus is not and cannot be a major league sports town due to the overwhelming presence of Ohio State athletics in all sports (yes, the Jackets exist, but tenuously so, and the extent to which the NHL is a major league is a debatable point by their own fumbling hand). I don't think there's any city quite like it, where you have a significant metropolitan area thoroughly dominated by perennial competitors in college football and basketball. Raleigh has the basketball but not the football. Besides, given that the other three sports cover Cleveland, Cincinnati, or both, there's no way you can encroach on those with Columbus.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"Dallas Chaparrals" would've been an awesome name for what we know as the Texas Rangers. The Swingin' Chaps! I love it.

Columbus is not and cannot be a major league sports town due to the overwhelming presence of Ohio State athletics in all sports (yes, the Jackets exist, but tenuously so, and the extent to which the NHL is a major league is a debatable point by their own fumbling hand). I don't think there's any city quite like it, where you have a significant metropolitan area thoroughly dominated by perennial competitors in college football and basketball. Raleigh has the basketball but not the football. Besides, given that the other three sports cover Cleveland, Cincinnati, or both, there's no way you can encroach on those with Columbus.

I never agreed with Columbus getting the Blue Jackets. At the time, I thought that they should have put that team in Cleveland instead, and revived the Barons. Gund Arena was just opening up downtown, and there could have been a three-way rust belt rivalry with the Barons, Sabres, and Penguins in a division with Ottawa and Montreal.

Archived