Starfleet Academy Concept

pianoknight

• 4 weeks later...

College teams have a mascot. It might be best to decide on what the the Academy would use as a mascot and go from there. Maybe they call themselves the Starfleet Academy Captains or the Constitutions or something simply and violent like the Phasers or the Torpedoes. Then, use that in the helmet logo. It would be cool to see the TNG uniforms using a Constitution class starship on their helmets. Maybe even have the Orginal Series era use the classic ship, and the Movie era and the TNG era use the revamped ship. Or you keep altering the logo based on the eras version of the weapon like the phaser. I think if there isn't an item you can use - say if you use the name Captains - then the Delta Shield shoul always be the logo. We're talking about Starfleet Academy. No need to use the UFP logos.

I like the idea of taking our versions of uniforms and flipping them generationally. So the Pike/early Kirk stuff would be like classic 60s uniforms. The Movie era stuff would be more 80s simplifications. And the TNG stuff would be the modern ProCombat stuff.

Anyway, interesting idea.

I can't say I'm really "buying" any of these. Yes, I know it's sci-fi, but look at the uniforms of the real-life service academies... they're amongst the most plain in all of college football. Even Air Force is pretty tame by today's standards. Add to it the simplicity of the uniforms worn by the various crews in Star Trek and I just can't see a Starfleet football team having the looks that have popped up in this thread.

Well these were nothing more than brain farts that escaped. I wasn't trying to invent some awesome concept; it was stuff that just kinda leaked out.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you did bad work. I'm just saying it's hard for me to envision a service academy using such complex designs.

And on second thought, the first concept you posted actually does look pretty on par with something Air Force might use (in blue, white and silver, of course). I think its that I just don't care for the Starfleet patch as a helmet logo. Too many smaller details get lost at that size IMO.

I like lobosan's one throwback Starfleet academy helmet. Was pretty neat. Fun idea this whole thread.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived