Silvers and Golds

Blue Falcon

This one goes out to Colorwerx, but anyone else can chime in if they want. After reading the post yesterday about the myriad changes in the Vikings' purple, I started wondering about all the different shades of silver and gold used by NFL teams. Watching the Lions recently (why, I don't know) it seemed that their pants look to be much lighter than the shade of silver used when Barry Sanders was there.

GN2_3442--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Barry-Sanders.jpg

As far as gold, the Saints' pants are much lighter than the gold pants they wore from 1967-73, which I'm guessing is before they started using Pantone colors for standardizations.

display_image.jpg?x=964217

ArchieManning.jpg

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Might wanna add the St. Louis Rams to this "watch" list.

I posed the question a while ago in another thread, and I believe it got answered then, but it certainly seems to me Rams' gold pants were mich richer in tone back in '99 as opposed to present day, where it's much more dull. (Not germane to this thread, but it appears their navy got darker, too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

i may be entirely off base here, but i think lighting has a lot to do with it.

a few weeks back, i was watching an nfl game (i forget which) and they had lighting problems in the stadium. they played without the standard overhead lights that they usually play with, and the game looked absolutely gorgeous to me. so much more depth to the silvers. almost like watching a game through an HDR-lens, when compared to the almost oppressive lighting used in most arenas and stadiums today.

could it be an issue with lighting and photography? it seems like every camera has a spotlight shining out of it nowadays, making all the depth of color disappear.

Archived