"America the Beautiful" Quarter series

CS85

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty being listed under New Jersey really, really chaps my ass. :cursing:

It's where they are located.

That's what bothers me about it.

But even from New Jersey's perspective, why go with landmarks most of the world associates with New York City to represent your state?

So perpetuate a falsehood? I'd prefer to see people informed about truths and facts.

Wow. I have no idea how you got that from what I wrote.

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty being listed under New Jersey really, really chaps my ass. :cursing:

It's where they are located.

That's what bothers me about it.

But even from New Jersey's perspective, why go with landmarks most of the world associates with New York City to represent your state?

So perpetuate a falsehood? I'd prefer to see people informed about truths and facts.

Wow. I have no idea how you got that from what I wrote.

You can't find anyone to support your argument that they should slap a New York title on a New jersey Landmark, because YOU happen to be put off by learning something new about a park. So tell us all again, please, why they say that Ellis Island is in New York? While you're at it, maybe you can come up with justification for putting the St. Louis Arch should be on the Illinois quarter...

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

You can't find anyone to support your argument that they should slap a New York title on a New jersey Landmark, because YOU happen to be put off by learning something new about a park. So tell us all again, please, why they say that Ellis Island is in New York? While you're at it, maybe you can come up with justification for putting the St. Louis Arch should be on the Illinois quarter...

Whoa there. Show me where I said anything resembling "they should slap a New York title on a New jersey Landmark, because (I) happen to be put off by learning something new about a park."

I accept the irrefutable, Supreme Court-endorsedâ„¢ fact that these two islands are legally part of New Jersey, even though it bothers me as a New Yorker who considers the landmarks on these islands part of my city and state's heritage and history. And I didn't just learn about it from this thread or this silly gimmick from the U.S. Mint.

My personal lamentation concerning Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty being part of New Jersey is an entirely separate issue from my questioning the use of those landmarks on the New Jersey coin. My point on the latter issue is that New Jersey is - in all likelihood - full of other landmarks that aren't more closely linked historically or culturally to another state or city, and would more aptly and exclusively represent New Jersey's history and culture. To me, putting Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on the New Jersey coin doesn't say much for New Jersey.

According to the United States Census Bureau the island has a land area of 32.030 acres (12.962 ha), of which more than 83 percent was created through landfill. The original portion of the island is 5.302 acres (2.146 ha) and is completely surrounded by landfilled sections. The original 3.3 acres (1.3 ha) are part of New York City

haha... so jersey had to expand the island via landfill to make it theirs.

footer_helmet.gif

Archived