Minnesota North Stars Logo Question

Morgan33

After scoping out some jerseys on Ebay I came across something I hadn't noticed before. Correct me if Im wrong but it appears that the North Stars subtley altered their final logo between the 1991/92 and 1992/93 seasons. Below is a comparision of two Authentic Game worn jerseys from both final seasons in Minnesota (1991/92 on the left) and the difference is certainly noticable.

DR01.jpgDR05.jpg

And no im not talking about the size of the crest, thats relative to the size of the jersey. Im talking about how much thicker the Black outline around Star is on 1991/92 jersey. Perhaps someone on these boards could shed some more light on this. Below are the game worn tags for the jerseys I posted above you so know theyre the real deal. It might just be lighting but it looks like the subtley changed the green too.

DR02.jpg

DR04.jpg

If someone could come up with colour optimized versions of these logos for the site that'd be great. Especially since the one on the site now isn't consistant with the quality of the rest of the logos on the CCSLC.

I know it's been talked about here a lot, but sometimes there are discrepancies between official print logos and the logos that are used on the jerseys. My guess would be that somewhere down the manufacturing process, someone decided that the thicker black outline would show better on the jerseys and went with it. It is possible that either the league or team required them to change the logo to closer match the official print version.

An example of something similar to this is when the EDGE uniforms were first introduced. The Bruins away jersey files showed 3 color numbers, but for some reason used 2 color nameplate letters. For the first couple months of the season however, the on ice away jerseys actually used 3 color letters, until for no apparent reason they switched back to what the official files showed. Later on in the year I actually got to meet the guy whose company does all of the lettering for the Bruins game jerseys. I asked him about this, and his response was that he didn't like the way the two color numbers looked and changed them himself until the league caught on and made him change them all back.

My guess would be that somewhere down the manufacturing process, someone decided that the thicker black outline would show better on the jerseys and went with it. It is possible that either the league or team required them to change the logo to closer match the official print version.

But its the 1991/92 logo that has the thick outline. They thinned it for the 1992/93 season and its more or less remained the same since.

I am pretty sure that the thicker shoulder line and the thinner black in the logo were on the jerseys for the second or third set of the 1991-92 season.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I am pretty sure that the thicker shoulder line and the thinner black in the logo were on the jerseys for the second or third set of the 1991-92 season.

After looking at a video of the 1992 Playoffs I can confirm that you are 100% correct. They changed the logo midway through the 1991/92 season. Interesting.

n.jpg

Whether or not this minor change is enough to justify having two of these logos on the site is not for me to decide. But if anybody has a clean colour optimized vector we could replace the current logo on the site with, please post. Or any North Stars logos for that matter. They all look in need of an update :grin:

An example of something similar to this is when the EDGE uniforms were first introduced. The Bruins away jersey files showed 3 color numbers, but for some reason used 2 color nameplate letters. For the first couple months of the season however, the on ice away jerseys actually used 3 color letters, until for no apparent reason they switched back to what the official files showed. Later on in the year I actually got to meet the guy whose company does all of the lettering for the Bruins game jerseys. I asked him about this, and his response was that he didn't like the way the two color numbers looked and changed them himself until the league caught on and made him change them all back.

From what I remember, the lettering went to 2-color on the white jerseys for better legibility. There's no question the 2-color letters are more legible than the 3-color versions.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived