Atlanta Hawks' Current Colors

rebelx

Just wondering if any Atlanta fans out there know how the fanbase, in general, likes the Hawks current (and St. Louis/early Atlanta) color scheme, as compared to the red and gold they used from '72-'07. Does there seem to be much of a desire to return to the colors they used for 35 seasons, or do people seem to be content with this scheme? I hadn't really heard about a particularly negative response to these colors, but somebody who's actually a fan would obviously know much better than me how they've been received.

Just wondering if any Atlanta fans out there know how the fanbase, in general, likes the Hawks current (and St. Louis/early Atlanta) color scheme, as compared to the red and gold they used from '72-'07. Does there seem to be much of a desire to return to the colors they used for 35 seasons, or do people seem to be content with this scheme? I hadn't really heard about a particularly negative response to these colors, but somebody who's actually a fan would obviously know much better than me how they've been received.

I think the lack of negative response is more due to the on-court success of the team, than anything else.

They made the playoffs (for the first time in nine seasons) the first season with the new colors, and made it to the conference semifinals the next two seasons. They have made the playoffs every year in their new colors, and this season they remain a respected (and most likely playoff-bound) team in the NBA.

They were a laughing stock team, they changed colors, and they (almost instantly) played better and got respect.

There is nothing that is going to get fans more indifferent to what the team wears, than winning.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Yeah, Atlanta fans haven't really complained about the colors since they've been successful in the red/blue.

I can tell you that the alternate logo (Hawk head shaped with the 'A') is massively popular, far more than the alternate profile view logo from the prior logo/color set.

Personally, I liked the red/yellow/black because it was unique, but thought after the way the team was run into the ground from ~2000-07, a change was a good thing (like the TB Rays).

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Guess I might as well ask, while we're on the subject: how would all of you rate the color schemes versus each other? Although the new colors generally look alright to me, I prefer the previous color scheme, personally, partly because I was so used to seeing it for so many years. Kinda wish they had the current jersey designs in the other colors. That might be interesting.

I thought it was kind of a downgrade at first, but their current look has kind of grown on me, but that might be because they are playing well.

At least their current unis have a unique "structure"/design (other than colors). I really like their current uni design.

I really did like their last set, because I thought red was sort of underrepresented in the NBA and I liked their dashing red unis with yellow and black trim. I think their whole identity was great (even the yellow jerseys!). But at some point this decade, so many teams (Raps, Nets, Sixers, Bucks, Rockets, Pistons, Blazers, at least) introduced or returned to or starting emphasizing red jerseys, and at that point red wasn't as unique anymore, so I didn't mind the Hawks not emphasizing red as much.

I'm pretty sure somebody at some point on this site did a concept/recolor with the Hawks current jerseys in their old colors. I remember seeing it, and it looked good. But I think those colors have run their course and I am fine with what they wear now (though I wouldn't say I greatly prefer it, just that I don't really miss the old look).

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Not a Hawks fan but always loved the 'Nique era unis in red/yellow. The current set is so normal, boring. Looks like any number of other teams. 'Nique's looked like the Hawks and only the Hawks to me.

51-25750-F.jpg

I never liked the uniform set that followed the Wilkins era set (even though Mookie Blaylock came from my same hometown)...

mookie.jpg

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

When I lived in Atlanta, it seemed people liked the new look. Anytime I brought up the retro gear, people referred to it as the "Ketchup & Mustard jerseys with the Pac Man logo on it." I never took that as a positive description. Current Hawks gear seems to sell pretty well, but that may have a lot to do with their winning teams as some posters have previously mentioned. Just my two cents.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived