Reebok Edge Prototypes

Morgan33

Back in the summer of 2006 when I first starting visiting these boards (as a lurker not a poster) I remember hearing talk of new sleeker, moisture wicking hockey jerseys for the first time. Somebody on these boards posted information not only on the new jerseys but changes to the identities of the franchises to coincide with them. He said the San Jose Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning were planning on adding Red to their colour schemes and that the Detroit Red Wings were going with jerseys that had Silver Reflective Piping. He had info on alot of other franchises but those three are the ones that stuck out. Does anybody on these boards remember this? Is their any truth to what this guy said (Don't ask me who it was I can't remember for the life of me) or was he full of :censored:? Thanks in advance.

Back in the summer of 2006 when I first starting visiting these boards (as a lurker not a poster) I remember hearing talk of new sleeker, moisture wicking hockey jerseys for the first time. Somebody on these boards posted information not only on the new jerseys but changes to the identities of the franchises to coincide with them. He said the San Jose Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning were planning on adding Red to their colour schemes and that the Detroit Red Wings were going with jerseys that had Silver Reflective Piping. He had info on alot of other franchises but those three are the ones that stuck out. Does anybody on these boards remember this? Is their any truth to what this guy said (Don't ask me who it was I can't remember for the life of me) or was he full of :censored:? Thanks in advance.

The Detroit reference was from during the 'Lockout' and plans were to have teams re-enter with all new jersey sets. This, luckily, did not happen. I can't remember what happened (apart from having more time to think things over) but there was an article in the Toronto Star outlining Detroit's jersey along with a few other teams.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Early on there was a real doom and gloom cloud hovering over this place about how the Edge was going to change hockey uniforms to the point where they were unrecognizable. The guy may have seen some early drafts, but he was more than likely full of :censored:. I do remember reading here that the original plan was for the jerseys to be tucked into the pants and the jerseys were gonna be football player tight.

I think what ultimately happened was the hockey purists and the teams were so against the radical changes that they fought the spaceman suits and demanded design that was more to their liking. Nothing ever really changed. It's been three years and the only things that really changed all that much with the edge were the hem tails, some terrible designs replaced previously good designs, cheap and tacky shoulder patches on replica jerseys, and the NHL logo on the collar. Even the tight jerseys that were advertised when the edge was first introduced have kinda faded. The jerseys aren't as big as they were pre-2007, but it seems the players just learned to size up so they aren't so constricted.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I do remember reading here that the original plan was for the jerseys to be tucked into the pants and the jerseys were gonna be football player tight.

Yeah, this part of the process was so seriously considered that it was the main purpose the Toronto Maple Leafs did not add stripes at the bottom of their jerseys until this season.

UJ

The Detroit reference was from during the 'Lockout' and plans were to have teams re-enter with all new jersey sets. This, luckily, did not happen. I can't remember what happened (apart from having more time to think things over) but there was an article in the Toronto Star outlining Detroit's jersey along with a few other teams.

Thanks Neon. Were these new jerseys going to be manufactured by Reebok?

Archived