Logo Usage Rights

nwtrailtrekker

Hello again, I've been here quite a while, but haven't posted in quite a long time

Anyways, in 2009 I designed a few new logos for my university's hockey team. I spent a long time in contact with the teams "spokesman", its just a club sport here so he was the team's captain. I designed multiple logos, initially putting them behind watermarks. He was appreciative of my work, and we made kindof an informal agreement that I could have some of the merchandise designed with my logo. Eventually I sent him un-watermarked files of my work when he asked me if he could use the logos i designed on the team website. I was happy to see my work on a website like that.

Anyways, this last September of 2010, I saw my logos hanging on a banner for the ice hockey team at the local rink, which I'm pretty proud of, except they never asked me for permission on that.

I haven't been to any of the team's games in a long time, and I haven't been in contact with the team in the last year, so I'm not sure to what extent they are using my work, whether it be on game apparel, t-shirts for sale, etc. And, I haven't received any compensation for my work (not expecting money, maybe a shirt or two.)

Did sending the un-watermarked files to the team (for them to use on the website) release me of all ownership rights to the designs? Do I still have rights to its usage, or did I sacrifise that? I'm not trying to complain about getting "screwed", its not keeping me up at night wondering when I'll get my shirt..I'm just curious as to what you folks think about it.

Also, what should I do from here? Do you suggest I contact the team?

Thanks!

If it really comes down to it, even having the agreement in any sort of writing (like an e-mail) could allow you to retain ownership if you never received what what agreed upon as payment, whether it's money or merch. But, if none of this is explicitly spelled out and all parties have agreed to it, you're probably out of luck, and obviously court costs would make this a risky financial move if you were to try to attempt to solicit money from the improper use of your work.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I suggest contact the team, tell them about the informal agreement you had and ask (not demand) for some shirts or whatever.

I don't know where you will stand legally, but surely there's every chance the team will say, "Sure, we love the logos" and give you what you ask for.

You're kind of in a bind, because you gave him permission to use the logo on the website, but didn't say he couldn't use anywhere else. The best thing you could get out of this, is as someone pointed out, ask for a shirt, because that's all you'll ever get if anything.

Archived