Pittsburgh Rugby League

Rampart

We're really working hard to move the game forward. There are two major leagues (AMNRL and USARL) and I think the competition between the two leagues will actually help to grow the sport. The fact that the rugby league pitch looks like a football gridiron doesn't hurt. One team, the Jacksonville Axemen draw between 1500-2300 fans at their games. It's no where near the attendance of the big sports, but for an adult amateur team, those numbers are great. Anyway, all of the Pittsburgh teams use a variation of black and gold. The logo, name and colors are very important in getting local sponsorships. The businesses can support a team that embodies a real connection to the people of Pittsburgh.

We're really working hard to move the game forward. There are two major leagues (AMNRL and USARL) and I think the competition between the two leagues will actually help to grow the sport. The fact that the rugby league pitch looks like a football gridiron doesn't hurt. One team, the Jacksonville Axemen draw between 1500-2300 fans at their games. It's no where near the attendance of the big sports, but for an adult amateur team, those numbers are great. Anyway, all of the Pittsburgh teams use a variation of black and gold. The logo, name and colors are very important in getting local sponsorships. The businesses can support a team that embodies a real connection to the people of Pittsburgh.

I kind of keep tabs on RL development in the US, including the AMNRL/USARL split. Do you see the two leagues co-operating, possibly to the extent of acting as conferences? Since the US is such a large country to cover a North/South or East/West arrangement would reduce regular season traveling costs.

Love the logo, works well with the Steelers identity as well as tying in with the working class history of Rugby League.

sig.png

What happened to the Vipers?

The answer to that question has a lot to do with the AMNRL split. In 2009, all of the AMNRL teams had new, redesigned logos courtesy of Scott Oeschger and the marketing firm, Star Group. To Scott's credit, the new logos that he designed were fantastic. (the Boston Thirteens logo that he designed may be my favorite logo in all of sports)

In December of 2010, 6 teams in the AMNRL asked for a board of governers to be established with each club having one representative and a voice in the direction of the league. This request was denied by the AMNRL, so those clubs created their own league (the USARL), set up with the board of governers concept. Unfortunately, The AMNRL and Star Group owned the rights to all of the new logos. As a result, the teams that founded the USARL either went back to their old logos or (in our case), created new ones.

In creating a new identity, we wanted to maintain the Pittsburgh black and gold color scheme and have a identity that represented the tough, working class, blue-collar reputation of the city.

As far as the future of the two leagues, there still seems to be some feelings of betrayal from the AMNRL. No players from the USARL will be selected for the US national team (controlled by the AMNRL) against Ireland later this month. It may take some time to get over the split, but hopefully for the progress of the game I hope that there can be some type of agreement. It would be great to see a final between the two league champs. That doesn't look to happen anytime soon, but time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a little treat. These are unused Vipers logos that were going to be used until the split happened and we decided to change the name.

vipers-new.JPG

Very nice and i am really happy that Pitts decided to stay with Black and Yellow.

Also sounds a bit like the ARL Super League schmozzle in Aus.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Archived