La Petite Cabine: A New Passive House Prototype for New Orleans

Mings

Hi guys,

I'm back with a new project. This one is a competition piece to design a Passive House (basically low-energy use/sustainable) for New Orleans. There is a public voting stage to select the ones that go in front of the jury, and I would definitely appreciate your votes!

Here is the link to vote (click the up arrow under likes on the right side of the page.)

And now for the specifics/goodies. Let me know what you think!

Utilizing a cabin within a sheltering enclosure, La Petite Cabine is a new prototype for the Passive House system for use in New Orleans. Utilizing a sheltering enclosure embraces the vernacular and responds to new demands for low-energy sustainable housing in New Orleans. The enclosure mitigates the negative effects of direct sun in the summer, while maintaining maximum wind access for cross and stack ventilation. The enclosure recalls the industrial architecture found throughout the Industrial Canal, which contrasts with the use of traditional New Orleans proportions and materiality found in the cabin.

Local traditions shape the form through use of proportion found in the vast majority of the shotgun vernacular, as well as with a renewed interplay of indoor/outdoor through use of the side gallery, a living room that opens up onto the gallery and front porch, as well as through an outdoor kitchen. A combination of passive, semi-active and active systems creates a low-energy sustainable housing prototype that reduces electrical need and embraces the "front porch" tradition of the city.

Front.jpg

Gallery.jpg

Board.jpg

Thanks. I stepped out of my comfort zone with this one, as I'm a believer of the occupants are what makes the home, not the architecture (so I tend to stay away from residential). I collaborated with a professor of mine (who did mostly animal hospitals and house renovations at his practice), so it is a bit tame compared to some of my other work.

That said, Its not bad for 2 weeks worth of work.

I love it. You've done a great job designing an effective building at this size and cost that operates so efficiently in all aspects of its being. It's easy to design a mansion; tough to design a shack is the metaphor I always use, for architecture, logo design, anything, really

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Thanks Andrew. It definitely is harder designing at small scale. There are a few things I would love to go back and revise. The initial stage of the project was definitely the hardest. All the ideas seemed to be too much for the scale. Its currently not getting any love in the competition however, but a lot of the other entries scream "look at me" and I don't think thats the right way to go for a house of this nature.

For all of those that want to vote for me, you do have to sign up, but it is quick and easy. Plus you will get to see a lot of other great projects. To vote, you would have to click the link above and then press the up arrow right below Likes on the right side of the page.

As a lover of modern style architecture, I would love to see a place like this become a reality. This is right up my alley. Form meets function in a living space that isn't too bit, nor is it too small. I'd scrape together a down payment for one of these babies in a heartbeat.

You got my vote. You now have 3.

Archived