what college football team has the oldest unifroms?

kg54mvp1

One thing I think would be interesting is to go back and see who's worn their same two sets of uniforms (one home, one road) the longest without any changes. As a previous poster mentioned, it wouldn't take into account changes necessitated by equipment requirements, but would count any throwbacks or alternate jerseys or pants or helmets (including pro combat types of one-off special uniforms). I don't have the time or the energy to go back and research it, but it would be interesting to see which school could go back the furthest with the same two uniforms, and how far back they can go.

OU and Texas have had their looks for a while, though back in the 70s/80s, neither school had the team name on the front of their jerseys. Several SEC schools seem to have had their looks for a while, too. I'd guess it's probably a team like OU, Texas, Alabama, Auburn, or LSU.

While LSU has essentially had the same look in UNIFORMS for a long time, I don't think they are the oldest. Certainly, not if you include helmet design in the definition of uniforms. The current helmet logo design only goes back to 1977 (ancient history to some, I know, but clearly there are teams with older helmet designs). The uniform design, other than TV number placement moving from the shoulder to the sleeve, goes back much further, to the mid 50s (most likely 1956):

billy_cannon_hof.jpg

Go back a little further, and at some point the "shoulder stripe" was located on the sleeve. From what I can see this was the pattern to about 1954-55:

61rWLBuSEVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Earlier and for a while (1940s early 50s, possibly to the time when the stripes moved form the sleeve to the shoulder), LSU featured old gold rather than yellow helmets, with a single purple stripe:

LAXLSU4755ALG.jpg

And even earlier (1936) they wore crazy get-ups like these:

1939+-+Tigers+clear+a+path,+descreened.jpg

It is what it is.

thanks for all of the answers guys. as a conclusion, I can see that most of these teams have famous looks that they will never change, but only maybe modify.

I know most teams have upgraded to newer stlyes, but are there any schools that are stuck in the 90s or just need a new look because they havent changed it in some time?

Archived