NCAA Tournament Bracket Gimp project

DaRadniz29

Every year for the past few years for fun, I'd get a poster board and some markers, take my ruler, and draw out lines for teams and then with different colored felt pens I'd put the name of the team and seed and fill in the bracket as the tournament progressed.

This year I decided to try something a little different. Since I like attempting different things with graphics and I like the tournament, I thought instead of creating the bracket by hand I'd try my hand at creating a bracket on the computer. Complete with all matchups and each teams logo seed number and name.

For preview and wallpaper:

This may not be the "official" way you should do things like this, but here is what I would do...

1. Place all of the gray buttons in their correct positions on the graphic. Keep all buttons in one layer.

2. Using the "magic wand" tool, select a button, then while holding down "shift," click on all of the other buttons as well. All of the buttons should have the "crawling ants" around them now.

3. Click "select" in the top menu, and then click "inverse."

4. With the inverse of the button still selected, click on the background layer (I assume it's simply white).

5. Click "edit", then "copy." Then click "edit" and "paste as new layer." in the top menu. Now you should have a layer that is the background EXCEPT where the buttons should be.

6. Take the layer you just created and move it to the top. Now whenever you place a logo, the parts that extend beyond the button won't show.

This may not be the "official" way you should do things like this, but here is what I would do...

1. Place all of the gray buttons in their correct positions on the graphic. Keep all buttons in one layer.

2. Using the "magic wand" tool, select a button, then while holding down "shift," click on all of the other buttons as well. All of the buttons should have the "crawling ants" around them now.

3. Click "select" in the top menu, and then click "inverse."

4. With the inverse of the button still selected, click on the background layer (I assume it's simply white).

5. Click "edit", then "copy." Then click "edit" and "paste as new layer." in the top menu. Now you should have a layer that is the background EXCEPT where the buttons should be.

6. Take the layer you just created and move it to the top. Now whenever you place a logo, the parts that extend beyond the button won't show.

Thanks. Not how I remember doing it, but it works - and for me that's all that matters since I'm just doing it for practice. Once I get it completed, I'll post it. Thanks for the help.

Archived