Play by play box scores

Over the years, I have found Baseball Reference to be a very reliable and fun source for play by play box scores for MLB games throughout the years.

But one thing that disappoints me is that they do not have play by play box scores of any spring training games. I attended my first Mariners spring training game back in 2002, and I was only ten years old at the time so I only have vague memories of the game itself. I recently came upon a basic box score of the game plus a brief recap of it on CNNSI.com, but if anybody can help point me in the right direction of a play by play box score of the game I would appreciate it very much.

The game took place on March 29, 2002 and the Mariners played the Padres in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks in advance!

-Mojo

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Over the years, I have found Baseball Reference to be a very reliable and fun source for play by play box scores for MLB games throughout the years.

But one thing that disappoints me is that they do not have play by play box scores of any spring training games. I attended my first Mariners spring training game back in 2002, and I was only ten years old at the time so I only have vague memories of the game itself. I recently came upon a basic box score of the game plus a brief recap of it on CNNSI.com, but if anybody can help point me in the right direction of a play by play box score of the game I would appreciate it very much.

The game took place on March 29, 2002 and the Mariners played the Padres in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks in advance!

-Mojo

Get the Topps Pennant App. on iTunes. Well worth the 99cents.

BB52Big.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Mojo

Get the Topps Pennant App. on iTunes. Well worth the 99cents.

I have neither an iPod touch or an iPhone and currently do not have the funds necessary for either one, so I would think that basically eliminates that as an option for me. :(

Still, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe the extra couple years' wait will make the eventual reward that much sweeter.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Unfortunately, I think you will have a hard time finding a full play-by-play for this game. The only place I know that has full play-by-play accounts for Spring Training games is mlb.com. But I don't think they were doing that back in 2002.

I did come across this article which is a little more detailed than the one on si.com: http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20020330&slug=mari30

And I messed around at archive.org for a bit and came up with the AP recap: http://web.archive.org/web/20030217173911/http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/recap/0,2405,MLB_20020329_SEA@SD,00.htm

(if it doesn't load, click the "Impatient?" link on the bottom right)

I'd guess that your best bet would be to look up Padres/Mariners/Portland sites on archive.org and see if you can find anything. You can also try looking up majorleaguebaseball.com to see if you can find anything; I couldn't in my quick search (searching for mlb.com wasn't working for me).

Good luck!

I thought Retrosheet would be of use, but they don't cover pre-season games.

Does your local library have archives of the Oregonian on microfilm? That might be the only way you could get something on this. (Old technology FTW!)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived