Minnesota Vikings Concept

debo0775

Preface: I'm just a uniform nut. I don't have any experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. So, please bear with me on the colored pencil use now and in the future.

Anyway, below are my ideas for the Minnesota Vikings. My intent was to take inspiration from their classic design and add modern touches which help to make their uniform unique. The most drastic change I made to both uniforms was to create a number font which attempts to align with the classic Minnesota Vikings script. Some numbers are admittedly a bit sloppy, but I hope you get the idea behind it, anyway. Also, I returned the facemask color to grey. I know most of you hate this, but all of the old-school photos of the Vikings have grey facemasks (for technology-limited reasons), and I like the look. I think that a dark helmet-dark facemask (navy and darker) looks odd, and yellow/white look wrong. Grey has historical significance, so I went that route.

For the home jersey, I attempted to fit their original Northwestern-style sleeve stripes onto a modern template. For the collar of the jersey, I attempted to translate that sleeve striping into the collar design. Instead of wrapping the collar around like the Packers do, I colorized the Flywire. Now, I'm not sure if this is something that can be done, but I've long wondered if it was possible, and I wanted to see how it looked, and (from a distance, anyway), I think it's a decent way to utilize Flywire while maintaining semblance of a striped collar. On the pants, I carried down the basic sleeve striping with a purple belt.

On the away jersey, I attempted to fit Northwestern striping onto the sleeves, but I think that that missed the mark. I'm not a huge fan of the large swath of yellow, but I do like how the collar turned out. These numbers are purple outlined in yellow, and the pants on this uniform are...well, ugly. I just don't like how the yellow looks in such a large stripe, but for the sake of continuity, I carried down the jersey pattern.

Anyway, I'll shut the heck up so you guys can see them/comment if you wish.

Home:

14dlwye.jpg

Away:

2uhyd5x.jpg

I wouldn't use much yellow on the whites, or on the purple pants. I think the Vikings' color hierarchy should be purple/white/yellow to set them apart from the Lakers. So just flip the yellow and purple on those road stripes.

People are going to complain about the runic numbers, but you know what? I like them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wouldn't use much yellow on the whites, or on the purple pants. I think the Vikings' color hierarchy should be purple/white/yellow to set them apart from the Lakers. So just flip the yellow and purple on those road stripes.

People are going to complain about the runic numbers, but you know what? I like them.

I agree with you on the color hierarchy. My concern with going Yellow-Purple-Yellow on the away was with the yellow getting washed out. It might look better that way, but I think at the least, the yellow would need a thin purple piping, and that to me would defeat what I was trying to go for with the return of original uniform-inspired striping. If I care to revisit the away, I might see what that looks like. The pants for sure would need a change, though.

The only thing I like about the concept is the collar, the arm stripe is too generic, the pant stripe and numbers are too 'out there'

The stripe definitely is generic, but (for the home, anyway), it's what the Vikings used in their infancy (minus the yellow piping on the white). I just wanted to see what that would look like with "modern" numbers based off of their script.

The pants I'm not sure of, but I like the potential of wrap-around stripes on the Nike cut. Whenever I've done concepts, it's always looked like crap, but I'm going to go with it until it doesn't. It's easy enough to straighten them out and have a classic stripe down the leg.

Too much like something you would have seen from Nike's Pro Combat uniforms, or something you would see from a high school team wearing team-builder type uniforms. NFL teams deserve more than just a cookie-cutter design, me thinks. There are other ways the Vikings uniforms can be progressed.

Archived