If sports were starting today ...

mjrbaseball

Re: rotating games...I always thought the NFL compromise (if they were SO hellbent on 18 games, for what its worth I think it should stay at 16) should be a 17 game schedule with 8 home and road games and a neutral site game for all 32 teams once a year. It'd have to be places that could seat at least 60,000...so major college stadiums basically, and then you could try your London game, Mexico City again, Toronto, and even maybe try places like Tokyo, Vancouver, maybe a couple other CFL stadiums every now and then, or other European cities. They would be non-divisional games and an "at large" matchup within your conference. Since you play 12 conference games currently (six vs your division, four against an entire division in your conference, and two from the other two conference divisions based on the prior years record) you'd have a pool of six other teams for that at large opponent each season.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. 14 games a season for each team are already known years in advance. NFL divisions play another in-conference division once every three years (with home/road games alternating every six - to wit: the Bucs played at Washington and Philadelphia in 2009, and home to New York and Dallas - this year, these were all reversed), and an out-of-conference division once every four years (home/road alternate every eight - at least, in theory, since rules changes since 2008 caused a few changes to this ideal).

This leaves two games on the schedule against other standings-influenced in-conference opponents and, as such, one random opponent for a neutral site game.. Not six or, in the 17 game schedule concept here, seven teams.

spacer.png

I don't know how owners would go for the movable game process--given costs and who would own the stadiums?

Things like that to be worked out--and the fan abse would possibly be diluted in some ways.

On the other hand it could be like touring bands or MMA or booxing...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived