College Soccer Concepts (5/3: Georgia Bulldogs)

WarSlamEagle

I'm revisiting the college soccer designs I had around this time last year. With finals over and a little while before my work schedule gets hectic, I'm thinking about putting out one of these per day.

Soccer is not a men's sport in SEC Country, where I'm from (with the exception of C-USA members Kentucky and South Carolina). But what if soccer was a fully supported men's sport in the nation's best football conference?

Drawing inspiration from such hits as The America League and my e-friend Atom-Z's work on MLS, here are my college soccer concepts, starting with the SEC...

Georgia Bulldogs

Vancouver-Road.pngQPR-Home.pngVancouver-Home.pngQPR-Road.png

Georgia_zps59149389.png

I'm starting with one of my favorite designs from the first time around, the Georgia Bulldogs.

I really liked the two-tone sash from my first attempt, except this time I flipped the colors on the white jersey. The sash stops and makes a sort of outline for the iconic Big G logo.

The Bulldogs just got a fresh coat of paint from Nike with a new secondary logo and font for their numbers and letters. The new secondary logo (modified by me to give it a soccer twist) is located on the back neck.

2388_georgia_bulldogs-secondary-2013_zps8c6e7be6.png

One of the features I'll have in this series, as you can tell, is the back of the jersey. (Finally found a template for the back that I liked.) I'll put the name and number of a current American soccer player from the same state as the university. This one is Ricardo Clark of the San Jose Earthquakes, an Atlanta native.

The neck tape, one of the features I really liked from The America League, proclaims the title of UGA's fight song, "Glory, Glory to Old Georgia."

The numbers and lettering style is similar to the new Nike uniforms Georgia unveiled a month ago. SEC patches (my weakest skill at kit making) adorn each sleeve.

I appreciate any feedback. Let me know what you think about the first design.

GeorgiaDesign_zps0ca0a5af.png

Looks decent. I would say that if you're already considering using the double stripe, perhaps take inspiration from the triple stripe on the silver britches? I think that could be more identifiable and connect the sport to the overall athletic department. Also, since you've already got the wordmark font, try using the actual "Bulldog Bold" number font. That would look nice here.

I don't have the wordmark font. The wordmark in the top left corner is actually Georgia's logo straight from this site.

And Bulldog Bold's number font isn't the same as the new Georgia uniforms. I found that the font I used looks more like the real thing.

img_8802_large.0_standard_730.0.jpg

bulldog_bold_font_preview_characters.gif

See the difference? (If I'm looking at the right Bulldog Bold font...)

--------------

As for the triple stripe, that's a great idea. Didn't even think about that. I'll play around with that and see if it looks better.

I don't have the wordmark font. The wordmark in the top left corner is actually Georgia's logo straight from this site.

And Bulldog Bold's number font isn't the same as the new Georgia uniforms. I found that the font I used looks more like the real thing.

img_8802_large.0_standard_730.0.jpg

bulldog_bold_font_preview_characters.gif

See the difference? (If I'm looking at the right Bulldog Bold font...)

--------------

As for the triple stripe, that's a great idea. Didn't even think about that. I'll play around with that and see if it looks better.

I haven't seen that Bulldog Bold font you posted, but that's the name UGA and Nike are both calling their custom font. I'm not sure how to download into an actual font that is usable for typing, but I know you can download the vector of it from Georgia's website.

http://grfx.cstv.com...l-art-sheet.pdf

That link will give you access to all the vector designs including the wordmarks, number fonts, logos, etc.

Edit- pretty sure that the "Font System: Univers" type is for the NOB fonts.

I am a fan. I think if Nike were to put a slogan, they would use "Commit to the G", since that's our new slogan that we have been using on everything.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived