illwauk's NFL Concept Repository (49ers added 5/16)

illwauk

This isn't so much a "series" as a thread for me to dump my random NFL concepts. I'm sure I'll have at least a few in the coming weeks as the semester is over. I already know that I want to attempt to fix the Vikings (damn them for coming so close to the mark, but effin' it up by getting artsy fartsy where it wasn't warranted), but in the meantime, here's my take on the Chargers, which seems to be the flavor of the week in the concepts forum.

San Diego Chargers

Instead of a true powder blue, I chose to opt for collegiate blue, which is the shade the Chargers wore in 1963 while capturing their only AFL Championship and IMO, the best shade of blue they've ever worn. My grandfather's cousin, Dave Kocourek, played tight end for that team, so I chose to pay tribute to him here.

Home:

sd_home1_zpse5a56cff.png

Home Alt:

sd_home2_zps6e420b30.png

Road:

SD_road1_zps093be75f.png

Road Alt:

SD_road2_zps11ce9119.png

San Francisco 49ers

Ever since the 49ers brought back the 1980s uniforms, I've felt it was a mistake. Their previous look was the greatest they've ever had IMO, but it wasn't without its flaws, which is what had Niners fans clamoring for the simplicty of the Montana-era look. Here I tried to combine what was great about each set while maintaining some consistency throughout the uniform. The Niners sleeve stripes have never looked good since sleeves began disappearing in the early 90s, so I got rid of them altogether, and frankly, I think the relatively complex numbers negate the need for design elements elsewhere on the jersey.

Home:

SF_home1_zpsa3c8bb17.png

Road:

SF_road1_zps56aa429a.png

Archived