College hockey concept

abqryan

For my first ever design concept I wanted to start out a bit simple. So I decided to use existing logos to create the look for a hockey team from my alma mater, New Mexico State University. The school currently has no hockey program, being in the desert southwest and all. I took some inspiration from the look of the football team as well as a bit from the general history of the school. The teams are called the Aggies and the mascot/logo is known as Pistol Pete and the colors are crimson and white. I created both a home and an away look as well as a throwback style alternate that uses some of the school's older logos from before they revamped in the mid 2000s.

I'd really appreciate any feedback or pointers, like I said this is my first attempt into the concept area and the logos are not my design but actual ones from the school.

nmsufullset_zps7510581c.gif

The logos on all three are way too big, the striping on the home and away is very templatey and I would lose the contrasting and outlined name plates. The front panel being a different color is something I have never seen before and I don't thing they would do thy on a fauxback uniform

Now that I try to take a bit of a fresh look at them I do see what you're saying about the logo size for sure. Likewise, I knew the different colored front panel was a unique look but I had not thought that would make it not so great for a more traditional style like it is meant to be, thanks for pointing it out. As for the sleeve striping, I was a bit inspired in that area by the school's current football look:

mj1828003_1_zps08bf436a.jpg?t=1369170319AndrewManleyblogphoto_zps98ec9224.jpg?t=1369170417

I do think I will work on doing some alterations based on your feedback and see how I like how it turns out.

Like stated before logos too big, I'd also say they are a tad lower than they should but, also with name and numbers, should be raised higher. As for the jerseys, I would say that is is a cookie cutter reebok jersey. Not saying they look bad, but they could use their own design, but jersey wise they look decent. For the alternate. WOW, very unique. I like the traditional striping and the font though that go with it, not sure how it would look on the ice but, hey it's alright.

and just for some knowledge, the waist stripe (or known as Hem Stripe) when the gray stitching meets up with it, there is no longer stitching. So the gray line would go away from the start of the waist striping all the way down to the end of the jersey. (Did I explain that okay?)

All in all, I would give this a 7.5/10 jersey wise, Execution, like I said just adjust the sizes and height of the logos. But overall, good first concept, excited to see more!

Archived