NHL Draft Question

smzimbabwe

Sorry if this should be in the NHL off-season thread, but I thought it was more general than current off-season news...

What is the procedure for NHL draftees? I know in the NFL, top players are invited to the draft, they spend a few days doing appearances and being wined and dined by the NFL. Then on draft day, they get drafted, pose with their new jersey, do some interviews, then usually fly within a day or two to the team that drafted them to meet the coaches, do local media interviews, etc.

All I ever see at the NHL draft is the players and their families up in the stands, a player gets drafted, he poses with the jersey, does some interviews, then is basically never heard from or seen until his name is casually mentioned at the start of training camps.

Does the NHL do more ceremony and activities with their draftees than I am seeing? Are they shown off before the draft at all? How do they decide which players will be in the stands, and finally, once drafted, do they go to their new team for local media and meeting the organization and such?

Players choose if they want to attend the draft or not. If you're all but guaranteed to go in the first two rounds, it makes sense that you go. Other than that, you basically nailed it. What you see is what you get.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think a big difference is that NHL draftees are usually "property" of another team also: junior, college or European league. In the NFL, you get drafted and then start your career with your NFL team immediately... for most NHL draftees, there is kind of a limbo period. I think the decent junior players get invited to training camp, at least.

Archived