White is the new Black

JPDesign

I thought Kentucky was one of the first teams to regularly have 2 helmets. Didn't they have a white option for most of the 2000's?

From 1970-2002 Kentucky wore only a white helmet.

From 2001-2010 Kentucky switched to a blue helmet

In 2011, Kentucky introduced the blue (white stripe) & white (blue stripe) helmets

spacer.png

If that's the aesthetics of soccer, that's fine for them, but it looks crappy and unprofessional on American sports teams not playing soccer.

Honestly, one of the reasons why I think football (soccer) teams have such strong identities and followings is the fact that they only have one primary look. Whether they're on the road or at home, they will usually look the same, and that helps to create a strong, definitive identity. That's what I like about the "clash" system, it makes it easier to create and maintain a clear image for your team in my opinion.

.....but then again, I always did think of most white jerseys as boring, colorless, unnecessary pieces of garbage as a kid. :P

Yeah, sorry. I don't see teams which drastically change uniforms every year (within the same color pallette) having strong identities. I admittedly don't follow soccer, but I can't see how that is the case, and I especially can't see that contributing to teams' popularities.

They dont drastically change them, at most they change the trim they keep the same basic pattern on their primary kit, youll never see liverpool in anything other than a red primary, barca is probably has the biggest changes year to year but their primaries always have red and blue vertical stripes in some fashion. Its their clash and alt kits that they go crazy with and change drastically each year, because people wont buy the virtually the same jersey each year, but they will but the newest jersey that is totally different from the last one.

Archived