Fantasy Football Debate

JackieMoon

So, in our league a couple people are starting to complain (I know it happens a lot this time of year, everyone is bummed because their season is over). Our league is a 11-team Keeper League that uses All-Play (hence the odd number of teams). Each team carries 12 players and of those 6 are starters (1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WR/TEs, and 1 Flex (RB-WR-TE)). Anyways... they, one in particular is complaining that the league is not fun because we don't have Kickers or Team Defenses. I am trying to find a balance or something that makes everyone happy each year, I know that's hard to do. We also use a pretty basic scoring system: 3 pts for PassTDs, 6 pts for Rush/Receive/KR/PR TDs, 2 pts for 2PC, and 1 point for 300+ Pass Yds/ 100+ Rush-Receive Yds.

Your thoughts? We are basically a 9-team league now because two people hate either the roster composition or All-Play.

Anyone ever try Victory Points Leagues?

I wouldn't be happy either.

1. Why not use Team D?

2. Why not use kickers? Hell, I am in 1 league that uses a punter...and as crazy as it sounds, it brings a strange unknown factor that could make the difference between a win or loss.

3. 6 points for rushing TD but only 3 for passing...yet that WR catching the TD gets 6? Seems a bit harsh. I'd probably not participate on that alone, or else draft very heavy RB/WR. Pass TDs should be at least 4 points.

However, I have never played in a All Play league. My 2 leagues are friends, family, and co-workers. I like the matchup one on one aspect for that.

I really miss the H2H aspect. Seems like this season everyone was distant. It wasn't as "friendly" as it's been before.

I've been Googling every little thing on fantasy football, trying to come up with something that is new, solves a lot of problems, and takes a bunch of the whiniing out of fantasy football.

The way our scoring is set up, each week the QB's are typically the highest scoring player on each team, so that's why they are at 3 pts, hell (probably most leagues) Peyton Manning has hands down won games on his own, but if the owners want 4 points then we will do that.

I am thinking of implementing a new way of fantasy football next year. Gonna see what the remaining owners feel about it. I've come up with a type of fantasy football called Axxhole. The league runs just like H2H. Before each week however, their opponent (deadline 5 minutes before the Thursday Night Game) gets to "bench" two players from their team. The catch is, where the season/playoffs run 16 weeks each player is only allowed to be benched 8 times (whether the player has been on one team or many). This puts a lot of strategy into each week's matchup and answers one question that has been lurking in fantasy football H2H Leagues," I don't have any control over how my opponent's team performs". So for the team that has Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, etc. they are only allowed to play them 8 times a year (given they get benched 8). The tally even carries over into the Playoffs. So, if teams have benched great players their max it could come back to bite them in the axx come playoff time.

I think this alone would take a lot of the argument out of well you got to play this guy b/c luck of the schedule and so forth.

Thoughts?

You're not supposed to have any control over your opponent's team.

You're also making fantasy sports way more difficult than it needs to be, as well as taking out the fun aspect. Play every team every week? Limit your use of a player to 8 games? That's overkill. Doesn't sound fun to me, and I'm a guy that supports fantasy sports.

The point of fantasy sports is to keep the casual, less-serious players involved and excited. If you add work to it, it becomes less fun. The other point of fantasy sports is to have that one (or two) matchup against your friends and get bragging rights over that singular game. Playing everyone every week takes away from that.

You mentioned everyone seemed distant and less friendly this year. Think about why that is.

K.I.S.S.

Archived