Named my baseball team...

webdav

We've started a league associated with the Men's Adult Baseball League here in my hometown. We'll have four teams. One is definitely going to be the Brewers. I am managing/coaching/playing another team.

When it came to choosing a name, I wanted something new, but classic sounding, something that reflected my interests and the area, and something that was easy to say. If a place name is required, we could use "Bozeman", "Gallatin" or "Montana."

As far as the area is concerned, Lewis & Clark spent quite a bit of time here, as well as the railroads. Skiing and flyfishing are big hobbies here as well.

The names I considered are as follows:

* Explorers - ties into L&C, but I didn't think it was very easy to say, with the two sylables ending in "r" sounds at the end

* Pioneers - just didn't thrill me, especially combined with the place names

* Black Diamonds - I like the "diamond" - reference to baseball, and the black diamond being the symbol for a difficult ski run, but it seemed contrived

* Iron Horses - reference to the railroad history of the valley and my family as well. Also has a baseball history with Lou Gehrig. We also have a Harley dealership in town. Dismissed for being contrived

* Steel Steeds or SteelSteeds or Steelsteeds - same as above, only even more contrived. :)

* Mountaineers - just plain too long to fit on a jersey!

* Homesteaders - kind of a reference to the Homestead Greys Negro League team, seemed too long

I finally had something come to me as I was reading about the ski trip I'm taking this weekend: Moguls. It has three meanings - bumps on a ski hill, barons or magnates of industry and it was a type of locomotive. So that's the name:

Montana Moguls

The problem now is that I have to come up with a logo for the team. I'm thinking about just doing script on the uniforms "Moguls" and a script "M" similar to that of the new Milwaukee Brewers hats. I like that hat, very classic looking.

I also thought about how some teams have mascots even though they don't have names that are obvious for a mascot - like the A's using an elephant. I thought I could use a snowman made of baseballs, but that idea was a fleeting one!

If anyone wants to take a hack at a logo for the hat, I'd love to see them. Any ideas could help. I'll post mine when I get one done.

Thanks for reading all this!

Dave - the new guy

here are some names I thought of, they may not really fit but you know, its worth a shot...

Aviators- I just love that name if not that long theres

Pilots- probably doesn't portray to where you live, but well its a thought

Miners- unless its Minors  :D zooooooooom

and so on.... those are a few that came to my mind right away.

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

That's not bad at all zoneranger. Not sure I like the type, but the M is pretty cool.

Doing graphic design in this area we do SOOOOO many mountians. I just naturally try to block that concept out of my head!  :D

Certainly worth consideration...

Anyone else have ideas?

It looks similar to a lot of fonts, maybe Shadow of Xisor (the same font George Lucas used to spell out Shadows of the Empire)... of course it'd need to be resized.

And about the logo... I just don't get it. Is that smoke on the right side? Where there's smoke, there's fire, and I'm not seeing where the fire is or is implied to be. Maybe the baseball? Then why is it hugging the M so closely? Please explain.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

It looks similar to a lot of fonts, maybe Shadow of Xisor (the same font George Lucas used to spell out Shadows of the Empire)... of course it'd need to be resized.

And about the logo... I just don't get it. Is that smoke on the right side? Where there's smoke, there's fire, and I'm not seeing where the fire is or is implied to be. Maybe the baseball? Then why is it hugging the M so closely? Please explain.

Well, I didn't take the time to illustrate it exactly as I wanted. Basically, when I go back and edit that, the smoke will be a ski trail of moguls, with the ball at the bottom.

I was just trying to get the concept first - and the colors. This weekend I'll have more time to edit.

I like Black Diamond's too - but the other factor is that we wanted a name that fit 7 letters or less for cheaper embroidery! :)

What is it with all of the Winnepeg Jets fans around here? Seems like everyone has a Jets avatar!

I'm still a fan. I watch HNIC and think "You know, the Jets coulda beat these shmucks." I often call the Make-Beliefs shmucks. No offense to any 'Liefs fans.

So do you cheer for the Yotes?

Archived